• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

creep feeder

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

creep feeder

Due to the fact I got pretty sick last winter the bulls ran with the cows all spring. So I got quite a few fairly early calves. Some of these Jan. and Feb. calves are getting pretty big and I thought I might put out a creep for them(I don't know if I'll actually make any money at it, I just like to see big calves!). Now in the past I've used oats in a creep but all I have at home is barley and I don't want to feed them that. Now oats are pretty dear right now so I have been considering a pellet. Any suggestions?

I personally think oats are the only safe feed for calves although I have used rolled oats and a pellet supplement (32%).
    A friend of mine just had a wreck with 'wheat shorts' on 800 lb steers. These are probably the most economical pellets available right now but pellets have a tendency to powder, some more than others and can be very risky. Monensin helps somewhat.

Comment

now pandiana, if you were feeding oats do you feed them whole or roll them? I've always rolled them but one of my buddies says this is a waste of time?

Comment

I have never feed whole grain to cattle and have therefore no experience. I might be okay. Generally speaking, I think rolled or steam rolled is more digestable and therefore, more economical. Rolled grain, however, gets you into that situation were too many fines can get you into trouble. As with everything in farming, too much is as bad as too little.

Comment

A large percentage of whole grain just goes right through. It makes the percentage that actually gets used very expensive.

Comment

I creepfeed my calves with a 20% calfstarter,and have also used both,whole and rolled oats with good results.However do not use barley,as this is way to hard on the stomach.Just last week i almost had a wreck.I thought i could cut corners and feed rolled barley and oats mix because the price of my calfstarter had drastically jumped in price.I had a few calves that were showing signs of grainoverload,but i caugth it in time and removed my creep feeder right away,the calves are fine now.

Comment

farmerboy: Have you ever sat down and figured out how much creep feeding actually pays? Over and above all the work, feed etc.? How much of a value can you place on the fact that your calves show a "bloom" and thus command a better price?

Comment

I have never creepfed on pasture, only in the yard until end of April or so, to get the calves to start eating. I hate seeing the calves competing at the roundbale feeders. I have never sat down and figured out what the return on creep-feeding is, the way I do it. Right now nobody is getting creep anyway, as it is too expensive . I only have one creepfeeder and my cow-calf pairs are split up anyways in two groups. The only reason I ever started creepfeeding was because I have some registered cattle and I wanted to supplement them because they were born in January. On a commercial basis I don't think I would do it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                • Return to Topic List
                Working...