• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Your Water at Risk?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Your Water at Risk?

Previous page Home page
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Public Information Meeting At Trochu, Alberta-Nov.15/11

"
    PUBLIC INFORMATION MEETING ANNOUNCEMENT
    Alberta Surface Rights Group will be holding a public information meeting on NOVEMBER 15th ,2011 at the Trochu Community Hall, Trochu, Alberta.
    The doors will open at 6:30 pm with the meeting starting at 7 pm.
    The guest speaker will be ECO JUSTICE lawyer Barry Robinson. Barry will give a talk on carbon capture and storage and his experiences representing the Kerr family from Weyburn, Saskachewan. The Kerr’s experienced a major problem on their farm with C02 contamination, shortly after Cenovus (Encana) started pumping large volumes of C02 into the depleted Weyburn field.
    The Alberta govt has approved and funded larger but similar carbon capture and storage plans for central Alberta in spite of many questions remaining unanswered as to the safety, effectiveness or environmental impacts of CCS
    Barry will outline potential impacts of these projects to your land and water.
    There will also be a brief presentation on the coming push to produce the shale and tight sands in Alberta. This development will affect everyone and has some potential negative possibilities for water contamination. With horizontal drilling, new well spacing regulations, and high pressure hydro-fracking, all Albertans need to get the facts on how this will affect them and to make sure the ERCB and Alberta Environment understand they need to step up their game plan!
    There will be open questions from the floor and refreshments will be served.
    Because Alberta Surface Rights Group Society is a totally non-profit, all volunteer group it is suggested a $5 donation for members/ $10 non-members, at the door would be appreciated.
    We do appreciate donations from TROCHU MOTORS and TROCHU CROP PRODUCTION SERVICES and suggest you support these businesses that are helping you protect your land!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting when I saw the title my mind went to regulator risk as opposed to physical risk. The Hon. Diana McQueen heads up the Environment and Water portfolio. So is our water at risk?

Comment

Per: I truly don't know. Alberta Environment says everything is good to go......they know what they are doing?
      In Pennsylvania, Colorado, West Virginia, Wyoming, Texas there are problems....maybe Alberta is different?
      I guess We all have to ask the question.....do we have faith in our regulator? Will they do a better job than the US, EPA? How's their record so far? Do we have faith in Alberta Environment?
      I would hope Ms. McQueen is the "real meal deal" and not another DUD like Rob Renner? Time will tell.

Comment

ASRG were we wrong to assume your initials stood for Alberta Surface Rights Group? I can't believe if they did you would be suggesting "Alberta Environment know what they are doing" "maybe Alberta is different" and wondering whether "we have faith in our regulator"
        Anyone aware of surface rights issues over the last decade would surely answer all three with a resounding "NO!!"
        Will McQueen be any different than Renner? unlikely I would think given that she is in the same party that's been in the pocket of the oil companies for how long? Representing Drayton Valley, an oil town if there ever was one, makes it further unlikely that she would take any kind of stand against the oil and gas sector even in agricultural and rural water was threatened.
        I think Per there is no doubt that our water is at risk from both regulatory pressures and environmental ones.

Comment

Certainly the fact that the Government added "Water" as a separate entity indicates a huge Red Flag. You would think Environment would naturally include water. Yikes!

Comment

Yes ASRG=Alberta surface Rights Group.
            I was trying subtle sarcasm. I have no illusions about Alberta Environment or the ERCB.
            I've known Diana McQueen for a long time. She was, Energy minister Ron Lieperts, legislative assistant and was the chair of the "Competitive Regulatory Review"....which was a complete sham (I was a token stakeholder)....which we are going to have imposed upon us (probably introduced this fall when the house reconvenes). This little "gem" will put Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resources under the thumb (and subservient to) Alberta Energy and our old "friend" Ted Morton! Bottom line it will be a "one stop shop" for oil and gas developement....with the emphasis on developement and nothing but developement!

Comment

In regards to the coment about being better than the US EPA, the EPA does not poison water, big industry poisons water, be it Ag industry or Oil and Gas. In Alberta, our practices are virtually the same as the US. Our CAFO's use glyphosate and fertilizer like it is, ironically enough, water, and oil and gas abides by much the same rules as their US counterparts. In other words, why would we expect the damage done there to be any less here? The EPA or NRCB can only levie fines, which don't seem to amount to much. Our practices have to change, and that will only happen when they are MANDATED to change, and that will only happen when enough shit hits the fan from producers and consumers, most likely consumers, because most producers think they are still doing things in an acceptable manner. Oil and gas won't change because as long as they're making money, why fix what ain't broken?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...