• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Udder problems

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Udder problems

A lot of our cows are having udder problems this year, very badly cracked teats and kind of a brownish crust on them as well. Some of them won't even let the calves nurse, so we've had to run them in and put udderbalm on them. However, as soon as we think they're doing better and let them go, the problem returns. Some cows have badly cracked teats but still let the calves nurse, but their teats don't seem to get any better. Any ideas what may cause this or what might help? Any info would be appreciated!

It's the weather. A combination of the cold snap, wind, wet and sun.
    Go to Toys are US and buy a "super soaker" water gun. Fill it with mineral oil and go around every day while the cows are eating and Zap them. spray right up the bag and it will work its way down. I hate milking out cows!!!

Comment

I use a hand cream called "GEORGE'S". ( A dry skin cream available in drug stores). When I do have to milk out a cow with cracked and bloody teats, I smear this product on very thickly and it sure does help. Sunburn caused by sun reflection off the snow may also be part of the problem. In a year like this that is a tough one, unless one has lots of excess bedding, or the ability to keep the cows in areas where the snow has been all plowed away.

Comment

Its strange but I have never seen so many cows with sore teats as I have this year. I was just watching a young cow with a Jan. calf on her this am running all over hell with her calf chasing her. She has a good udder and has not been a problem up to this week. With a strong, older calf, the problem usually sorts itself out in time. However, I do worry about mastitis on cows that have enlarged udders full of milk laying on dirty damp bedding. Hard to avoid these problems, especially when bedding is in very short supply.

Comment

Excellent idea, Cowman. Went out and bought a supersoaker right away. For once treating cows will be fun. Pandianna, I've also never seen as many problems with udders as this year. It's a pretty frustrating year all-around, for us anyway.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...