• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alberta Beef Council

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alberta Beef Council

This new group was formed because the ACC was basically useless and out of touch with the industry. Hopefully they will replace the ACC as the voice of the cattle business in Alberta. Over the years the ACC became an "old boys club" where they became more and more irrelevant to the average cattle producer. It seemed their business was more concerned with upping the "per diems" and having conferences in Kananaskis than listening to the beef producer. Their arrogance in pushing through the cattle I.D. tags and upping the checkoff could very well come back to haunt them. They liked to boast they had the support of the "majority" of cattle producers when they won a referendum type vote on the checkoff. A vote they won by the narrowest of margins in which only something like 12% even bothered to vote.
    This new group might not turn out any better but at least they are new and not bogged down in a beuracracy like the ACC. They are going to have meetings to see what producers want...quite refreshing from the way the ACC operated! I hope we get to decide where our check-off dollars go?

Where exactly would you like to see the checkoff dollars go to?

Comment

Where exactly would you like to see the checkoff dollars go to?

Comment

Actually back into my pocket!

Comment

My goodness cowman what a unique concept! I still believe that if the animal is going to be tagged those individuals that want feed back on how their carcass performed should have that information made available to them, after all the toold is there now and if you could use that information to help you then you can put dollars back into your pocket. Seems like a lot of the associations just don't have the follow through required to stay in touch with the industry.

Comment

I think a new group like the Alta Beef Council may have a better handle on the cattle industry and represent the cow - calf operators better plus doing the beef promotion. The ACC has become to top heavy with individuals who own feedlots and are using the ACC to protect their own interests. The checkoff is also a sore point with me because its my money that is going to legal fees and travel expenses to attend hearings to tell the public that feedlots do not have a negative impact on neighbours.

Comment

I like the idea of the cattlefeeders being a member as these are mostly the smaller backgrounders, and I think the auction markets have an interest in the well being of the cow/calf sector. I get a little leery when I see Cargill is a member but I do believe they are a fairly progressive company even though they will definitely be looking out for Cargill!!
              If nothing else this new producer group might wake up the old boys at the ACC and hopefully the CCA.
              The ACC and the CCA like to claim they were the great white knights that saved the cattle industry from the evil American countervail duty when in reality it was the Canadian Government(as it should have been as they are in charge of international trade). We collectively spent a lot of money that should have been the Canadian governments expense. And when you really think about this countervail duty, who was it directed toward? I would suggest the Canadian feeding industry? Not against the cow/calf man. Quite frankly I couldn't care less whether my calves are fed in southern Alta. or Nebraska.
              I am not against my check-off dollar being spent on the things that will help me. But lets be very clear here. I don't want to fund a bunch of programs that are basically designed to help feedlots,packers and retailers!
              The ACC has become the voice of the feedlots, packers and retailers! The I.D. tag is a perfect example. Now if this is a good and necessary program for the "whole" industry then why is it only one group pays for just about the whole thing? And guess who? The little guy! While the big feedlots, packers, and retailers reap the benifits. If this was such a good idea then there should have been a surcharge on the end product to pay for it. I mean at the cost of $1.50/animal how much would it have been? About 1 cent/lb? Yes it's only $1.50 plus time and labor so it's not a big deal but it is very typical of the attitude of groups like the ACC. Groups that no longer represent the producers that are forced to support them.

Comment

Although I do not share the views altogether with cowman on the ID issue, I do agree that the cost should be a shared one up and down the line. I also believe the tags should be used to supply data to those that can use it to better our production. I also believe that the Associations have gone way out of line and should be held accountable. Maybe a new group is not needed, but to revisit the old group and put some guidelines in place that would hold those that are supposed to represent the producer accountable for their actions. If they are out of line then the producers should have the ability to give them the boot by way of vote, or other method that the majority could use.

Comment

Isn't this Alberta Beef Council being pushed by the Alberta Feeders Association? If people want to get involved in the ACC you can go to the meetings and voice your concerns. There is never a very good turn out at the meetings as far as I know. I've never gone but I am very concerned with large corporations being members of a cattle producers group. These large companies have enough influence. It is the small producer that needs a voice. Keep the ACC and get involved.

Comment

Sure you could go and voice your concerns. Then the powers that be, would tell you that you don't represent the "new beef image" and they could go back to the more important business like where to hold the next convention and how much the "per diems" should be raised what with the increase in whisky prices!
                    I got you beat in that I attended one meeting...and that was enough for me!!! My momma never raised no complete fools!
                    Actually this "Alberta Beef Council" is supposedly a one shot thing. Unfortunately we'll have the same old gang collecting our check-off dollars.

Comment

I know how right you are cowman, getting the old boys out and making the concerns of real producers is not easy. We do need to use the dollars raised by the organization to the producers advantage or give them back. I still look at any extension in the supply chain as a stand alone profit center. In todays market place yes we need some expertise that extends beyond a normal producers knowledge base, but when a group is influenced by the big guys it seems the big guys still call the shots!

Producers must be willing and able to at least understand the next few steps in the supply chain to ever hope they will direct their own future. A forum like this can only point out the issues and not put them to rest.

I enjoy producer meetings but must say most times they tire me out more then a 14 hour day! LOL

Comment

How many cattle organizations are there anyway? Is there an organization of cow/calf producers? It seems agriculture is split into so many factions that we end up fighting ourselves and somehow always end up the loser. I wonder why? The government is proposing to assess livestock operations for property taxes and claim the industry wanted it. I wonder which of the cattle organizations asked for it. It would be nice to have a single strong voice representing us.

Comment

It seems to me that often the little guy can't make it to the meetings, even though he would like to, because he is out hustling to make a go of things. He can't afford to hire someone to come in for a day or two to look after things while he is away. Or is it more the case that he feels he won't be heard anyway?

I kind of have to agree that we are inundated with organizations of one sort or another, all with slightly different goals and aims, but doing similar things. How many cattle organizations actually exist in Alberta? How about in the rest of Canada? I know some of them like ACC, CCA, the breed specific groups, Alberta Cattle Feeders. I recall several years ago that there was an attempt by 4 of the beef groups to work together, but it didn't go anywhere because of breed pride. At the end of the day, aren't you all selling boxed beef?

Comment

I would like to respond to some of the comments made as a cattle producer who pays a check off and therefore has a vested interest in ACC. ACC is a democratically elected organization where any producer can run and become a delegate. I have been to a number of fall meetings and the delegates are always encouraging producers to run, as quite often they are short candidates. In my zone there is a number of first term candidates. These people can be held accountable by running against them and becoming involved.
                            I did some research and the Alberta Beef Council is composed of Alberta Cattle Feeders' Association, Western Stock Growers Association, Alberta Auction Market Association, and Alberta Livestock Dealers and Order Buyers Association. A number of other organizations have been asked to join but have declined such as Feeder Association and Alberta Breeders and the packers. ACC has agreed to provide input but has not joined the steering committee.
                            This group objective is "to develop a blueprint for future representationl of the Alberta beef industry." As a cow/calf backgrounder, I have some serious concerns when the feedlot industry and auction markets are asking for better representation when there is an open democratic process in place.
                            It is disappointing to see Alberta's beef industry continuing to in-fight while larger issues such as shrinking consumption of our product is occuring.

Comment

I have already had my rant for the day concerning the ACC so won't go there!
                              I do believe the auction marts should be involved because they have a vested interest in keeping the cow/calf guy in business. For a lot of people the auction staff are their link to the rest of the industry. And generally speaking they are our neighbors and friends who in reality have our best interests at heart. Without the cow/calf guy they are out of business...and in reality without the free enterprize mart we are at the mercy of the feeding and packing industry.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.