• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cattle Handling Equip

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle Handling Equip

We are gonna finally invest in a new cattle handling system. Any pros and cons to the common brands would be sooo much appreciated.

Stampede Steel would be tops on my list, but a very close 2nd (and much cheaper) is Tuff Equipment from Notre Dame De Lourdes, MB. Only difference between the two is SS's can operate the headgate from the rear of the chute.

Comment

Use the Northstar system, (the classy brochures you get in the mail). Alright but a little small for bigger bulls, probably based on US cow sizes. Love the "rear operating headgate", would not go without now. Not really fond of tubs, would rather use a "Bud Box' style, but tubs may be useful if the cattle are a little "rammy". If you are mostly using for deworming and vaccinations, would get the best and longest alley, as a lot of this work can be done in the alley.
      Good luck!

Comment

Thx - Only running 120 cow/calf with husb/wife for staff. lol Just trying to simplify life. Any opinions on s or straight alley? I am not sure what a bud box is? Can you explain.

Comment

I will try to get and post pictures of
          our new Bud Box, although we used this
          method for many years before we knew
          what it was called.
          Basically the cattle come into a long
          rectangle pen that is perpendicular to
          the chute. You then stand at the inside
          junction of the chute/pen and the cattle
          circle you and head up the chute.

Bud Williams site
          http://stockmanship.com
          Video
          www.youtube.com/watch?v=o58f4_uNbxo
          PDF of layout from North Dakota State
          www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ansci/beef/as1389.p
          df

Comment

The best "bud box" I had, was a pen about 14' X 25' long. The entrance gate and the chute entrance were at the same end, so after chasing cattle in, the gate was closed but the chute entrance was left open. Standing just inside of the pen, off to one side, the cattle would go around and think they were escaping. They would be half way down the alley way before they realized what happened, and with back stops it was too late. Cattle always seem to want to go back from where they came from during handling and confinement.......that is why I am not a fan of tubs as they seem to be looking backwards to get out.....although by not overfilling etc, they will work.

Comment

Good advice! Our current system is very similar to a bud box but see now that we are trying to chase out wrong end. Also, have discovered that we need a longer alley the has a clearer line of site to a way "out". YouTube has some great videos. Thanks so much!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...