• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

retained afterbirth

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retained afterbirth

What advice does anyone have regarding a cow not expelling her afterbirth past 4 days?? Gave her Liquamyacin LA last night (muscle injection and also some in uterus to fight infection. I know I am not suppose to pull to hard on afterbirth, so I did lightly, and I am sure it is still attached, so I quit it right away. She is eating ok, but not her usual appetite. How long should I wait until I should do more? The afterbirth was hanging down too long, dragging around, so I cut it off short, maybe too short though. Any advice on this would be very appreciated.

Don't do anymore. It will be absorbed in due time. By now the cervix will be closed fairly tight around the hanging afterbirth so you can't "unbutton it". It is not a big deal. It might take a bit longer to cycle but giving her anti-biotics now will just stop the absorbtion process. You might give her a shot just before she goes out with the bull.

Comment

You could also give her a shot of estrumate nad 11 days later give her another one. Check with your vet. For anothe rtime do not cut off the dragging afterbirth. The weight of it will gently pull on what is left in her and help pull it out. Even at 5 and 6 days you could put on a glove and gently try and tug a bit more out of her, but do not pull too hard.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...