• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calving intervals

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calving intervals

The "experts" tell us we must be progressive and get those old cows all calved out in 56 days. Why I don't know?
    They say then we will have a uniform package that will command a premium. I guess they've never heard of a presort. As far as a premium goes...I wonder.
    Here is an example of why it is in your best interest NOT to listen to the "experts". I have a fairly young neighbor who wanted to own some cows. He did okay for a few years, always following the most "expert" advice. Pull the bull after 56 days and cull the opens. Now last spring it was dry and cold and feed was scant. Like most farmers he was busy getting his crop in and trying to figure out why in the hell he was bothering! Well 30 cows a few miles away from home and the bull came up lame! So he runs out and buys a fat slob that was more interested in laying in the shade than chasing cows over the hills. But out he came when the 56 days were up. So in the fall 18 head come up open...young cows he paid $1400 for as heifers a couple of years ago!
    So now he unloads them at the bottom of the market gets about $800 apiece!
    Heres the other option. My cousin had a bull problem a few years ago. Now he was pretty slack with these cows and so by the time he got it figured out it was pretty late. So he threw in a young bull who got those cows cleaned up right away. Anyway he had about 12 calves born after July 1 the next year. He kept very close tabs on what it cost him to keep these calves over winter...and guess what? When the dust had settled he had $100 more per calf in his pocket than the early calves he sold in the fall! The cows caught back up over the next couple of years. He is now a firm believer in the fact: It's when you sell them that counts,not when they are born!!
    So use common sense and don't always listen to the "experts"! Or you could end up in the poor house!
  • Reply to this Thread
  • Return to Topic List
Working...
X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
You agree to our and by clicking I agree.