• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow

Here in central Alberta we are getting some serious snow. About 15" in the last 24 hours! Which is good, but how come every damned cow on the place decides todays the day to have that calf?
    I sure hope they are getting this down south and out east. Maybe things are turning and it will be good times ahead!

cowman - yes we are getting a good snow fall in the last few days. This morning there is approx. 9" on the ground and its still snowing. I had to laugh at your comment about calving because the young fellow next door just started calving this week and his comments were the same with alittle " more colour added"!! Last week we had a chinook without the wind and alot of the snow melted in so the drylanders are pleased. The mountain snow pack is building up fast so that will ease the pressure on the irrigation systems. When I see this kind of weather I'm sure glad we moved to April - May calving. I say that "tounge in cheek" because I've seen 2 feet of snow the last of April !! Good luck with your calves.

Comment

Here in east central Alberta we have about 8" snow the last 2 days and the temperature is starting to drop just in time for us to start calving whenever the old gals decide it's time! Timing for calving is a trade off between cold weather in Feb/Mar and wet sloppy calving grounds in April. Who Knows!

Comment

I'm between Saskatoon and Regina and we have had no snow lately. The ground is bare, wells and dugouts are drying up. Many are hauling water for houses and cattle already.
        It looks pretty bleak here, I was at my local elevator(what's left of it)today and farmers are really at the stage of uncertainty.
        The local economy is starting to see pressure with people not sure what to buy and what are priority's.

Comment

Muttley: By the time you read this I hope you are up to your butt in snow!! I've been watching the weather channel and I suspect you might not have done as well as we did here. I kind of know the area you are in and if I remember correctly it is pretty decent land with adequate water(normally).Snow is really welcome this spring(a lot of years we would have been cursing it!) and there is still a lot of time left yet! I truly would rather have 4" of rain in April(despite the slop!) than 2 feet of snow in March! Does one hell of a lot more good!!!
          It will rain. I suspect it has finally turned. And if I am wrong well there goes the old "with age comes wisdom theory"!! But I just suspect... I might be right!!!

Comment

Finally got about a inch or so of the white stuff yesterday (Sunday). It's pretty dry snow and the temp tomorrow is to be in the side with no real snow in the forcast.
            I host a bull sale in mid April and am really starting to get nervous as many are holding back with decisions do to moisture. Alot of cows have been sold off allready and I fear many more will be sold in the next 30 to 60 days if there is not moisture.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...