• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wild times here in Manitoba

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild times here in Manitoba

As Johnny Cash sang, "How high's the water, Ma? Six feet high and risin.."

It's getting just crazy around Western Manitoba with all the flooding. We were in Brandon the other day, and I must say that driving up 18th street, behind that row of ten foot high sandbags (which has been increased by another five feet since), it was just plain creepy knowing there was a wall of water just the other side. The pictures on the news don't quite do justice to the true amount of water that has filled the Assiniboine valley.

Today it's raining. Ten days ago, upstream, there was over a foot of snow. This is not good. Now they're planning to break a dike east of Portage la Prairie, and let the water go to reduce the pressure on the dikes in the city.

Here's a link to the story http://ca.news.yahoo.com/manitoba-break-dikes-battle-record-floods-005526941.html

Extreme measures for extreme times.

Since Brandon lost it's local TV station, the closest news source is Winnipeg, which makes things even more difficult. Lucky thing there is a local website that's keeping everyone informed. Check it out. ebrandon.ca There are a lot of pictures there, and the discussion boards show a lot of insight into how a crisis operates in real time.

The Heartland Auction mart is right on the flats, and backs up against the dike. Obviously it is closed.

For the Manitobans on this site .... "stay safe"

thinking about all the Manitoba folks.
    Good luck with things.

Comment

Too little water not good, too much water not good. Keep your feet dry Kato and be safe. I feel sorry for those that can't rise above the water and those that will be flooded "for the greater good".

Comment

SF3, why are you in the field?

All you're doing is wrecking equipment, endangering lives, and hurting the land.

Go home, spend some time with the wife and kids

Comment

Good idea I'm out and heading home

Comment

We'll be OK, we're way out of the line of fire, but others are not so lucky.

Just talked to my husband who's at the auction mart right now. They've got a hundred head in there that came to be sold because the owner was told yesterday that tomorrow he'd be under water. It does not pay to live between oncoming flood waters, and Winnipeg. Breaching the dikes won't do much for Brandon either, according to the flood people there. The Assiniboine doesn't link up with the floodway, so keeping Winnipeg dry will be the priority.

The land that's being flooded is some of the most productive in the province, and grows a lot of specialty crops and vegetables. It's bad enough that land in general is very wet this spring, and it's shaping up to be a rerun of last year. These guys don't need this on top of it.

We're not personally in a flood zone, but we are thinking it will take two weeks of hot sunny windy weather for us to be able to plant corn before the deadline this year. That's not looking likely right now.

Maybe we should think of growing cranberries or rice?

Comment

Pictures SF3.
              Flamans has the website going for spring too.
              We barely drive an ATV between hills.

Extremely sticky snotty like frost is still here.

Comment

Coop fuel truck stuck southeast of Humboldt. Not sure what he was doing on that particular road but she is sunk. Found myself a 500 hp caterpillar tractor to rent to put on the 70 foot morris harrow, not telling anyone where I found it cause then it will be gone. Was looking on iron search and most tractors are sold, the odd new one coming in. Plus some fossils not sure will make it home. LOL
                Nieghbour still going on his high ground, should run out of high ground by days end. Maybe I should just hook the 500 hp caterpillar up to my 535 versatile and have some fun on Sat. if it rains, cat has 30 inch tracks not much weights, I have 900 rubbber mid and rear weights. Any bets????

Comment

Funny thing the trench between the tires was
                  hard. Sunk a foot down. So is the frost stll in the
                  ground. Either way I'm close to done.

Comment

Second drill is coming home tomorrow. We are throwing out the 100ac per foot of drill rule for this year.

Comment

I was driving home tonight while listening to the radio with news stories of the floods. Thanks for the posts here. And it sounds bad along the Mississippi too.

I was wondering if all the mud adds to soil fertility on the flooded lands.

Comment

I think over time, it does, which is why the Red River valley has such productive soil.

The downside is that it's going to take a long time to dry out, there will be a lot of damage done, and there will be permanent damage to things like the big strawberry farms that are in the path of this intentional dike breach. One grower in a story I read said it may put him out of business completely. This is a farm that produces millions of dollars in produce, and employs a lot of people.

And to add to that, I just read a story in the Co-operator that cattle producers in the interlake have been put on notice that there is more water being diverted into Lake Manitoba than it can handle, and they need to be prepared to evacuate cattle too. And they aren't in the zone where the dike breach is supposed to send the water. This is extra water that's already going through the Portage diversion. The number the story puts out is something like a hundred thousand head! Like they haven't had enough problems already..........

I think there's going to be hard feelings in rural Manitoba for a while after this is all over.

Comment

Haven't seeded an acre in the Red River Valley just west of Winnipeg. We may not get going until June if you believe the 15 day weather forcasts.

Now they are going to breach the Assinaboine River dike and every drop of water comming down the Lasalle River will be going past my place, plus reflooding some of my land. Oh well.

Comment

I just heard on the radio that cattle producers in the area that is to be flooded are having to move their cattle to some designated crown land. GAD I hope they are all finished calving! What a nightmare! Our hearts go out to them all. I wonder if they are able to keep the herds segregated or if they will be co-mingled.

Comment

Hopper I wouldn't try it. You'll rip that 535 to shreds. Heck my 765B would, nevermind the bigger one. Pitt that you gettin flooded out up there on the Lasalle????

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...