• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Think of this on Monday when you vote....

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of this on Monday when you vote....

Ok, I think we all agree that in this election campaign, agriculture is somewhere just below the choice of what colour flowers to put on Parliament Hill this summer as far as priorities go.

We've all heard our local candidates ramble on about how important agriculture, and the beef industry is to this province, while not actually doing much to prove it. Just how much they have not done to prove it can be measured with a little report card I like to call "Don't just say it, DO IT".

Here's how it goes. We sent petitions to a lot of MP's asking for an out of court settlement in the BSE case that could save us ten years of waiting for the results of a case that we are going to win. They know it, and we know it.

I don't have my list here right now, but I personally sent petitions to every single Manitoba MP, Gerry Ritz, Stephen Harper, Michael Ignatieff, Jack Layton, and Alex Atamanenko, and a number of others. Other people have sent them as well. They represent a lot of cattle producers.

This is how the report card goes.

Alex Atamanenko - PASS
    Larry Miller - PASS
    Scott Reid - PASS
    Joe Caumartin - PASS
    Blake Richards - PASS
    Harold Albrecht - PASS
    Francis Valeriote - PASS

These MP's all stood up in the House and read our petitions.

As for the others.
    ALL Manitoba MP's - FAIL
    Stephen Harper - FAIL
    Michael Ignatieff - FAIL
    Jack Layton - FAIL

Gerry Ritz - FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL

He gets the most fails, because most of the Conservative MP's sent their petitions on to him and he still did nothing. He has a pile of petitions, and has ignored them all, which means he has ignored you, me, and all of our neighbours as well.

He's been ignoring a lot of things, like the fact that our so called farm safety nets are only a great make work project for those employed by them. He's been ignoring the fact that disaster programs take years to kick in, leaving people in real trouble on their own, and in the position of having to beg.

The answer of this government to the troubles we've been living with is to open "new" markets and grab a good sound byte when they do it. Use every opportunity to pat themselves on the back.

Just one problem with that. They're not opening new markets... they're trying to get back the markets that we lost due to negligence by this same Canadian government, that never had to be lost in the first place.

The arsonist is bragging about putting out the fire.

So when you go in to vote on Monday, think of your individual MP. Think of what they have promised you, and think of what they have delivered.

Also think about the avalanche of rules, regulations, draconian measures, and unreasonable enforcement ready to fall on us as a result of this country having BSE introduced into it due to negligence by You Know Who.

end of rant.

Good summary Kato.

The most interesting aspect of it is that there was no one party that came out ahead of the rest in how they responded to our request.

Perhaps the most important thing to remember is that our job is not over when the ballot is cast.

If you do not regularly press your MP for action on issues of importance, then you are reneging on a significant part of your democratic duty.

Your MP should know who you are and what you stand for!!

Comment

Exactly. I actually have another petition filled in that is just waiting to be sent.

Perhaps I should send it to Mr. Ritz's replacement???

Comment

kato - "get back the markets that we lost due to negligence by this same Canadian government"
        I'd just like to point out that it was actually the LIBERAL government that neglected due diligence when it comes to BSE.
        The only real winners in any election and the government it results in are the bureaucrats.

Comment

Yes it started with the Liberals, but the Conservatives have had years, I repeat, years to do something to make it right.

And they have chosen instead to let our entire sector of the Canadian economy crash and burn.

When everyone looks at those improved cattle cheques they are receiving now, they need to think about what their lives would have been like if they'd had similar returns for the past eight years. They need to take those eight years of bad cattle cheques, and upgrade them to what today's price is, and take a good look at what's been lost.

They also need to think about how many neighbours have packed up and gotten out, how many family farms will not have the next generation taking over a cow herd, and how much money has been taken out of the economy.

The politicians have been stalling, waiting for better times to return so they'll be off the hook. They think that we will all forget the damage done and go like lambs to the voting booth to send them back in for another round.

That, IMHO is an insult to the intelligence of the Canadian cattle producers.

Comment

I doubt if most will be insulted enough to change the habits of a lifetime. Bold prediction - rural western Canada will be a sea of blue once again. Any protest votes you can persuade on the BSE issue will be outweighed by those that TOM and his cronies over on the commodity forum garner for the Cons. because they are under the illusion a Con majority would bring an end to the CWB.
            Thankfully elections aren't decided by single issue voters of whichever persuasion.

Comment

Habits of a lifetime are what politicians love. It's what they depend on.

BSE may be one issue, but the fallout from that has led to so much more. Just think about how the red tape just keeps piling up on us.

Just think about how the fine for having an untagged animal is going to be $2500.00.

A drunk driver pays less.

BSE has given every bureaucrat who ever wanted to guarantee a long well paid career in regulation enforcement the best gift they could ever ask for. And the way it looks, the punishment is going to be a long way from 'fitting the crime'. What's next? Jail time?

If someone's MP, whatever party, did a good job for them, then they deserve a vote. If they did not, then they don't. That's my point. People who live in rural ridings should be voting for politicians who actually care about rural Canada.

I personally don't think there are very many out there who give a rat's a&^ about agriculture in general or cattle in particular. They're more interested in what looks good on the evening news.

Comment

I thought this site on Canada's national ridings was interesting:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canadavotes/map/2008/#262

What I tend to think when I am voting is that my vote, especially my vote as a rural vote, really does not count. Although I always vote I do it knowing full well it will not make one bit of difference.

Most of the rural ridings are dominated by what I consider to be urban centers. PEI has four ridings and I would consider 3 of those to be truly rural. Maybe one or two in Sask and Manitoba could be considered rural ridings. In the rest of the country the rural vote is completely overwhelmed by the urban voter.

Where an individuals voted does count is in what are regarded as the swing ridings. In those ridings the election can be won or lost by a few votes either way. Most of these swing ridings are in B.C., Ontario, and Quebec.

Check out:
                http://voteswap.ca/2011_federal_Western_swing_ridings

You can also see the polls at:

http://www.sfu.ca/~aheard/elections/polls-scatter-plot-2011.html

I really question if Alberta voters steadfast support of one party result in a political gain for the province. All the parties' policies and platforms are being tailored to the swing ridings where the election will be won or lost.

It is one thing for the voters to be loyal to one party but that party is focused on getting votes in ridings that are loyal to no one. If the prairies and Alberta want to have political influence then those prairie voters will have to learn to vote strategically. One party loyalty is a thing of the past, especially in minority government situations. Alberta and the Prairie Provinces need to wake up and smell the coffee.

Comment

Check out the "independent" candidate in your riding and see what he/she stands for.
                  In my mind, the party system is DEAD.
                  Municipal politics are much closer to being democratic - no party system, people elected on their own merit.

Comment

Time to re-visit "The west wants out"

Comment

I love that ironic oxymoron if there is such a thing. "The country will be ruined if the PQ seperatists have their way - so let the west seperate."
                      I don't understand the Canadian logic.

Comment

It's fairly similar to the Scotch/English logic.

Comment

The proper term is Scottish.

Comment

Not really 15444 - in fact quite different situations. Thanks for the correction Kato!

Here are a couple of articles worth reading re agriculture and the election.

http://thetyee.ca/News/2011/04/28/TradeDealGhostIssue/

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/news/decision-canada/Parties ignore reality agriculture/4688220/story.html

Comment

Farmer-son

Kato your summary you posted is very good and accurate.

There are two ridings to watch tomorrow in Saskatchewan. The Ralph Gooddale Riding --Regina Wascana.

The riding next to ours will be of key interest Saskatoon, Biggar Rosetown Riding. Last time it was within 200 votes. Conservative Kelly Block vs NDP Neddie Wiebbe.

Will watch tomorrow night.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...
                              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.