• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whole oats for calves

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole oats for calves

Good evening i would like to know if giving small calves oats will hurt them. I put some in a trough and they went for it but i dont know if i can give them to much. Thanks

I offer whole oats---heavy oat (boyer variety) that is a milling oat as well. They seem to do fine and not overeat. I have self feeders that they have access to as soon as I turn the pairs out on grass.

At calving if auger from feed box oats in a row the calves will eat right with the dams at 1 week of age.

Comment

I have been feeding whole oats to calves in a creep feeder for a few years now, only because I had access to some at a very reasonable price. They do well on them and it makes weaning less of a stress on the eating side of things.

But once they start eating hay well, it is better to grind the oats/grain. Better for the gut and feed efficiency.

Comment

In the past couple years I was feeding whole oats to young calves in a creep feeder wagon...I don't anymore. One calf out of 50 will pig out and plug up. Same thing for Diatomatious earth used to prevent scours. Your not gaining anything if you lose one. 400 lb calves or heavier that are consuming grass would be fine. My 2 cents worth

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...