• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I was wrong

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was wrong

I admit it, I was wrong. I thought it would be this fall that bred animals hit $2000. Nope. Happened today. Went the sale at Perlich in Lethbridge and a couple of red heifers with calves at foot traded at $2000 even. Lots of trade at 1900-1975. Plenty of trade in the 1800s as well. Even old cows with calves at the end of the sale were up. 1500-1700. Hot sale, wow. IMHO, I think this bad weather picked off alot of newborn calves and everybody was looking for a handful to replace the ones they lost. Sure paid dearly for 'em.

likely lawyers and investors wanting to get in on the high beef prices predicted. Any real cattle producer knows there isn't any sense in cow prices that high. OR how quick it can change to crap. If you were selling....... good on you, if you were investing, Hang on.

Comment

and the headlines will read.

NOW IS THE TIME TO GET INTO BEEF IT IS PROFITABLE AGAIN.

Comment

At a recent herd dispersal here, one guy bought around 80 cows and trucked them "home" - dumped them in a field basically without any facilities. Paid about $1800/hd for a bunch of pretty good cows.

He had just sold a bunch of feather quota. I think the learning curve could be steep.

Comment

Quite a difference between paying $2000 for a pair versus a bred animal - a lot of the risk is removed and you can see the calf. These are not so out of the way in my opinion - we shipped a "pair" in March - culled the cow for @$920 and sold her September born steer for $891. These were not huge cattle either.

Comment

I find it interesting that these same heifers could be had for $800 last fall, if you shopped around. I know there's costs to get them to now, but geez, that's a thousand dollar bill. And it wasn't doctors and lawyers, it was all older established guys looking for a few pair. They all sold 2 to 5 pair at a time.

Comment

What a good thing to be wrong about, that's all I can say. We were picking out our replacements the other day, and left back an extra five so we could do a second sort. Maybe we might just not do that.

We sold some feeder heifers this week also, who didn't make the cut, and one of those sold for a thousand right in a regular auction sale.

Boy it's been a long time since there's been good news eh? Let's just enjoy it.

Comment

Thanks for the infor on this thread. The open replacement heifer sale today is in Saskatoon SLS. Lots of interest with about 700 head on offer. Hauled in my top cut yesterday to be palpated "ultra sounded" for uterus developement. I will have a second cut that will be announced that need more time but same frame breeding and body type that should fit in the June market for those that calve later now. When I first started this program 10 years ago I was at the end of the sale but through showing cattle at agribition and fall fair you learn quickly how to imporve your sale. I will post of agrivlle how some different cuts sell today as well. With respect to all there will be no pictures.

These animals will have no shrink and well be sold by the dollar.

Hopefully a happy day for the seller.

Comment

Good luck! I predict you come home happy.

Comment

I was hoping to read what he got tonight.He must have been so happy with his check,he must have stopped and had a couple of cold ones to celebrate!!

Comment

goodmorning Kato & TNT. I was so concerned over the possible excitement in Ecville I had to work on that post first that Grassy posted.

SLS OPEN SELECT REPLACEMENT HEIFER SALE
                      April 21 SLS. Approx 750 head on offer. All Heifers palpated (ultrasound), and vaccinated with Boehringer Express 5 Vaccine. This is the 10th year of the sale. Standing room only in the market. Market order buyers sitting in front row to pick up the bidding on "lb price" only.

Now you are into the genetic cross preferences with F1s type of cattle.

Top cut of black/white with limo terminal--$1325.00. F1s Black/white #1200.00. My 1/4 Sim/Angus very dark reds---Ave 860lbs top large group $1150 solid reds with 0 chrome $1150. Top cut same type with blaxe $1200.00 My lowest weight was 820lbs @ 1075 with auctioneers announcement of another 25 on offer from my ranch at market in June.----Lots of interest and contacts came my way.

The sale stayed "hot" as long as the heifers were above 800 lbs.
                      This weight was heifers on some freechoice hay overnight.

The order buyers with their calculators working barely made a bid with prices about $150.00 above Lb price. Lots of guys went home--trailers empty.

I didn't get an average--not available.

The sale reminded the days pre-BSE.

A happy camper today.

Comment

Nice going!!Glad you got paid well for those heifers,i didn't think a $1000 was going to buy them.Those $1650 heifer pairs i bought a few weeks back,are looking better everyday.

Comment

Where you at the last bred cow sale at SlS,Just curious as to what bred cows and pairs were selling for at that sale?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...