• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Versatile 555 tractor.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Versatile 555 tractor.

Hello all. Just wondering if anybody can tell me how reliable a Versatile 555 tractor is for feild work. The one I am looking at has a rebuilt 555 cummins and has been well looked after. I dont have too big of equipment, 35 ft cultivator, and 30 ft of mf 360 discers, but I have heard horror stories about these engine flying apart , and I have also heard nothing but praise for them also. Can anybody help please. The price on this tractor is very reasonalble for 210 hp. Thanks

I bought a used one and used it for 10 years for light work like harrow, stone picking, auger, no problems at all was good no breakdowns. It worked well but have heard that they do not like to work hard. They are a cheaper built tractor, like an economy model. Just from memory which may not be correct, I don't think they had 210 hp, was it not something like 175? Maybe I am talking drawbar.

Comment

Maybe I am too late on this one, but, I have a couple of MF 4800 series with 903 Cummins v8. I had a mobile mechanic out to set valves etc. He has worked on these engines for 30 years and has high regard for them, and I was scared of them. The subject turned to the 555 and he says do not even accept them as a gift. They are nothing but trouble and very expensive to repair. He was very adamant in telling me to not ever posess one......ever.

Comment

I have had 555 for over 10 years and it has been a good workhorse. We used to use it to plow with an 8x20 plow and a 36 foot field cultivator. Has 215 horses. Only thing I was told not to do was to run it wide open if I wanted it to last. They told me to run it at 2850 and it would run forever. Went to no-till so only pull a 30 foot drill with it now. It is good , cheap horsepower. Parts are getting hard to find for it is only problem I know of.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...