• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Traceability Propaganda

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traceability Propaganda

The promoters of traceability are still at work. Some examples:

1. ABP has a piece in the last Grass Routes entitled "Quarantining a Beef Feedlot: A Cost-Benefit". No real research, no serious analysis, just politics.

2 Lee Gunderson has an advertorial in the last "Alberta Beef" singing the praises of the aussie traceability program. He doesn't even identify it as advertising but does make sure that the magazine is distanced from Roy Rutledge's opposite views. At least Roy's column got published.

3. And the "you must be joking" award goes to Ag Minister Jack Hayden for claiming that the traceability system helped straighten out cattle mixed up by the flooding in Medicine Hat. Guess the plan is to keep up the bluff at every opportunity. Someone should tell him that cattlepeople have been marking their stock since domestication.

She's a sh** storm folks. If we don't keep pushing for what we want the bureaucrats will take everything we've got. HT

I think we are on the same page HT. I am all for traceability so long as it remains my choice. If it remains my choice, I can control the costs and realize a profit for the extra time, money and effort.
    We have always had traceability in one form or another because we were able to get rid of TB and Bangs. This "new" traceability is just reinventing the wheel but it would be much better left up to entrepeneurs rather than bureaucrats.

Comment

He Who Gives up Freedom, for Security, Deserves Neither.........

Comment

So how many guys have run to their local stores and received their FREE RFID tags??? Hmmm.... free from direct cash cost, but not free - in fact, when the government pays for the tags... they own them! and subsequently, they own all the information attached to them.

Hence, you the producer who "got the tags for free" have sold to the government your propriatory information for nothing.

This manner of business allows the government to then share the information attached to the tags with those who have purchased your animals, such as they (government and CCIA) have been doing since the beginning of the traceability program... without lawful permission, and to no direct benefit of the primary producer.

Also, note, the May Census will be upon us again... and government will tell you another lie, that it is the law to fill it in. Not true! You are required by law to give your name and address (for election purposes), and as far as the "farmer census", checking the box indicating you are a farmer is sufficient.

Stop being a push over and fight like a man.

Comment

31. Every person who, without lawful excuse,

(a) refuses or neglects to answer, or wilfully answers falsely, any question requisite for obtaining any information sought in respect of the objects of this Act or pertinent thereto that has been asked of him by any person employed or deemed to be employed under this Act, or

(b) refuses or neglects to furnish any information or to fill in to the best of his knowledge and belief any schedule or form that the person has been required to fill in, and to return the same when and as required of him pursuant to this Act, or knowingly gives false or misleading information or practises any other deception thereunder is, for every refusal or neglect, or false answer or deception, guilty of an offence and liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding five hundred dollars or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding three months or to both.

Comment

Gee, I guess I am gonna have to stop growing pineapples on my farm. lol lol

Comment

You would have to be a Toronto Lawyer to read all that fine print. LOL Thanks by the way for your efforts cpallet.

Comment

Sorry about the missing t.

Comment

Well per, as I read it you are liable for up to three months in jail or a fine of up to $500 for each question on the general census or the Census of Agriculture that you refuse to answer 'without lawful excuse' (and no, I don't know exactly what that means).

If you don't believe me, check out section 31 of the Statistics Act. Just thought everybody might like a heads up as to what the statute actually says about failing to answer census questions.

Comment

When I was in school 40 years ago totalitarianism was a bad thing. Why are we letting it happen today? I keep going back to the judge's decision in Sadie's case. The language of our rulers curls my hair. Sadie escaped thru the narrowest of cracks.

Comment

HT, how was it that traceability helped sort out the cattle that were mixed up as a result of flooding in Medicine Hat? I thought that information connected to the CCIA tags was to remain private.

Comment

As for traceability.... traceability with no financial rewards for those doing the work (that would be us) is just a make work project for the bureaucracy. Tracking for the sake of tracking. Basic animal health style tracking can be done with a lot less red tape than what seems to be planned. I think there's a larger agenda here than just finding out where that animal with TB came from.

As for the census.. I have a copy of the agricultural census from 1851 for two of my great-great grandfathers, and they are priceless IMHO. Anyone who has ever done a family history will back me up on this one. The census return is one of the first places you go to find your family. It takes a hundred years to release them to the public I would like to think my great great grandchildren will care enough about their past to look us up.

As for the 'free' ear tags... I hope it's the Alberta government who's footing the bill, otherwise us poor schmucks are paying twice. BTW, other than for cull cows, age verification is becoming a non-issue in Manitoba. Even if you announce it in the ring, for feeders, you don't get paid for it. They can probably fill whatever small need there is for age verified cattle with the 'captive supply' in Alberta, so we don't count. Ten little countries...................

As for finding cattle after a flood... you're right... propaganda.

Comment

I worked in Hungary in 1994 and 1995 importing embryos, semen and cattle. I understand what it is like to operate under that type of government. HT is not too far off with his comment on totalitarianism creeping up on us.

Comment

We have never answered their stupid questions beyond - name address and checked the farmers box thus answering both the required "census of population" and the "census of agriculture". We have not gone to jail.

The gathering of other information is not part of the "census" since "census" is only counting of the people and farmers. Other information is voluntary, and stats canada can compile and sell this information to NGO's etc. as long as it is not linked to individual names.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...