• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Test and Hold

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Test and Hold

I just read this article on meatingplace and wondered what implications it has on the Canadian cattleman.

Industry News - PM
    USDA moves to make test-and-hold mandatory

By Lisa M. Keefe on 4/5/2011

The U.S. Department of Agriculture today proposed a requirement for beef, pork and poultry processors to hold finished products from commerce until the results of tests for harmful substances have come back.

Acting on a petition that the American Meat Institute submitted to the agency in 2008 and the priorities identified by the Obama administration’s Food Safety Working Group, the proposal would give the Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) the authority to hold the products until FSIS test results are received. FSIS believes that 44 Class I recalls issued between 2007 and 2009 could have been prevented if the so-called test-and-hold procedure had been in place.

“There also are implications at U.S. points of entry,” USDA Secretary Tom Vilsack said, in a conference call briefing the media on the proposal. “We will be holding [products] at points of entry, which will make imported food more safe as well. We’re creating a food safety system that will meet the challenges of the 21st century.

“The beauty of this proposal is that the industry has embraced it,” he said.

Can someone please explain to me again how Iggy is going to be some kind of fiscal genius?

Yes, I know Paul Martin balanced the budget. But those days are long gone and Martins policies are no where to be seen with this latest crop of Libs.

Comment

Paul Martin did not balance the budget.
      Taxpayers in a recovering economy did.
      Also there was offloading done to other
      levels of government and once again the
      same taxpayers. I can't stand it when
      Liberal politicians take credit for the
      balanced budget.

Comment

Good points.

Comment

fran, Was hoping you'd tweet Ralph tonight. Had an hour long. Pars was pretty hopeless. Pars

Comment

Haven't caught on to the tweeting yet. I guess it will have to go on my to do list.

Comment

Fransisco,

Iggy's solution... slit our throats... then we won't need to eat... and can use that food funding for daycare!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.