• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB in cattle and elk

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TB in cattle and elk

I'm in an area of Manitoba that gets alot of rainfall,in fact as I have stated before excess rainfall.Because of this we decided a while back that a cattle operation would suit this area better than trying to grow crops.
    The problem is that this is an area that has alot tb infected animals in wild elk herds.The elk are spreading the disease to surrounding cattle herds.If another infected beef cow shows up with the disease manitoba we and possibly the rest of Canada will lose its tb free status.
    My question is if one of MY cows happens to be that next one to get infected who is responsible?Is it my fault for knowingly trying to ranch cattle in this area or is it the gov'ts fault for knowingly letting their animals carry this around?They know that this could devastate the Canadian beef industry.If a Canadian farmers animals come down with a serious disease such as this one the herd is destroyed.Should this be an option for theirs?Currently they are "monitoring" the situation just as they do everything else.I'm starting to hate that word.Seems as though all our gov't is good for!

This affects every Canadian beef farmer as much as it does me so I would like to hear your views on the subject.

I would have to say there is no clear cut blame. The one time there could be is if a person has it and does nothing about, say as in dispersing their herd. The gov't needs to do what ever it can to help us but more than likely it will be up to us to help ourselves.
    If this gets ahead of us in Canada it will wipe out cattle production for years to come.

Comment

I don't know about wild elk in Manitoba but here in Alberta the federal govt. has a whole herd of infected buffalo that they won't do anything about in Wood Buffalo National park. These buffalo have not only TB but Bangs and anthrax! They were going to eradicate them but the Indians put up a squawk about destroying their heritage or some such drivel! Really dumb because they were going to replace them with healthy animals. Hey, but this is Canada and we wouldn't want to do anything that actually made sense, would we?
      But thats okay as they are also letting cattle from the States in that have been exposed to blue tongue and anaplasmosis. The CCA continues to push the government to open the border and damn the consequences. After all the major feedlots must have cheap feeders whether they ruin our cow/calf sector or not. Kind of lets you know who the CCA stands for!

Comment

Doesn't it make you happy to know that the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources has helped hunters bring herds of wild elk in from Alberta and release them so that they can eventually have an elk hunt and to hell with farmers?(AS IF the environmentalists etc. will ever let them shoot one after the success they had cancelling the spring bear hunt)

Comment

There has now been a confirmed case of tb in a whitetail deer.I have an awful feeling that this is going to get alot worse before it gets better.

Comment

dalek: Sounds like Ontario has a few idiots in government just like Alberta!
            The elk are pretty much over running the eastern slopes of the Rockies. What can you expect with the dingbat hunting rules they have out here. You almost have to beg people to come shoot the deer and moose. It has gotten so bad southern ranchers are hiring Indians to come in and slaughter the elk. It seems the elk would rather eat hay bales than get out and rustle! Another one of Albertas brainy ideas was to protect the wolves! And it would seem they prefer beef over elk or moose!!

Comment

We already have a wolf-hunting ban for miles and miles and miles around Algonquin Park, which just happens to be the same area where the elk were first released.

Comment

Countryguy... I do know that there is probably more disease floating around in the wildlife than Sask or MB lets on. Typical politicians. Don't pull the fire alarm until the roof is comming down. What irks me is that they do turn a blind political eye to the biological staff at times to avoid the public outcry. It does happen. I guess we just have to be ready to cry too. But it must be loud enough...
                Those Wood Buffalo bison have been hummed and hawed over since the late 80's . So how hard is it to get a tag for Riding Mountain elk ? :-)

Comment

You mean you need a tag for Riding Mountain elk?

Comment

Dalek: it sounds like they were just bringing those old wolves some grub! Well whatever, we have lots more to feed your wolves, and if we run out of wild ones we have a whole slug of tame ones that aren't worth very much!

Comment

Countryguy... being a non-resident, thats about the only way I think I could do it...

Comment

Rookie..Yes,I guess you're right.That is unless you know someone living REAL close to the mountain that is REALLY mad at the elk...........!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Being a fellow MB resident and on the southern migration route for many of RMNP animals, this is a pet peeve. Even conservationalists know that you need to maintain healthy herds. Nature cannot keep up with all the things that have been thrown at the animals and predators like the taste of domestic livestock more than wild.

The government cut back on the deer hunt (reducing tags etc.) and look at the mess we are now in with them. With elk being fewer in number, I don't forsee them making any changes.

However, with the infections spreading to many species, we could be up for real trouble in the future. Pretty soon, people will take matters into their own hands and the heck with all the studies. Don't get caught gang!

Regards, Jensco

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...