• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gopher control

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gopher control

What are people using for gopher control? UFA sells rozol and strychnine - is one better than the other? But they don't sell bait stations - where can I get those?

any comments would be appreciated - although the ground is still white the gophers are out and I think this would be a good time to get'em

Grass management - once you let it grow long enough they leave.

Comment

feed stations: A 10 ft. piece of white pvc pipe with a 2 inch hole drilled in the middle to dump the poison in. Buggers like to run in the pipe. Actually cut it in half and make 2 of them.

Comment

Both poisons have their place. Rosol
        needs to be mixed with other ingredients
        in order to get the gophers to really
        eat it though. I prefer rosol as it
        doesn't have as big an effect on other
        wildlife and the gophers haul it down
        their hole so they mostly die
        underground and there is poison waiting
        down there for the next gopher that
        moves in. The main bait stations used
        around here were rubbermaid tubs which
        had 2 holes cut in them. Cleaned out
        herbicide jugs work too, they already
        have a big hole in them for the gophers
        to use.

Comment

thanks for the tips.
          I should clarify - this is for cropland. These gophers are coming across the fence from a pasture quarter. I'm going to try and get them to control the gophers but I have my doubts - the landowner lives out of country and the tenant is nearing retirement and probably won't work with me although I'll try. So I think I'll be on my own and will put up some bait stations.

One more question - is the premixed stuff better or just use your own grain?

Comment

Grassfarmer, I remember that Stan Parsons subscribed to the grazing management thinking. The thought is that predators either coyotes or hawks have a better chance to sneak up on them. However, as a kid living in eastern alberta, the gophers were a real problem in hayland as well where there was lots of tall growth. I agree with you and Stan though that a primary factor is short pasture where they can see long distances and scurry down under, but it is not the cure. I think that poisoning needs to be part of the strategy as well.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...