• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mash for Molting Hens

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mash for Molting Hens

Our small flock of "free range" (they are in their winter shed right now) is starting to go into molt. Someone mentioned I should be giving them a mash but didn't know what it consisted of and how long or how much. Does anyone else know about a mash?

Currently the hens get a mixture of whole oats, wheat, oyster shells and lots of water. Sometimes they get flax. They bed on a mixture of oat straw and shavings which they have been known to snack on.

There are two main reasons that layers will go into a molt. The first and most important is when the hours of light decrease. This happens naturally in the fall of the year and birds will cease their production phase and go into a molt unless extra artificial light is provided to keep them stimulated and in production. The second occurs when the layer isn't getting enough nutrients to sustain maintaining her body and egg production. The bird will continue to insure body maintenance but will go out of egg production to reduce the demand on her system.
    It sounds like the latter in this situation. Layers eat for energy and the demand is high during the colder winter months. The layer will quickly use up any energy reserves and if the diet is not providing sufficient energy egg production will cease. Using whole oats in layer diets is not recommended as they are very high in fiber. The high fiber dilutes out the available nutrients and the bird eats a lot more feed to get required nutrient intake. If you add in cooler temperatures, that may add too much energy demand for body maintenance and causes the layer to cease egg production and concentrate on maintaining her body. If hens are eating litter it is a sign they are looking for something else in their diet.
    The use of a complete laying ration (mash) is recommended. Usually to meet layers needs the ration should contain: 16-18% protein, 2650 kcal/kg ME and 4.0% calcium. This type of ration will insure the layer is getting the nutrients it requires no matter what time of year.

Comment

Thanks AK!

I just reread my original and left out that the girls are on laying ration with the whole grains and oyster shells as extras. The grains add interest as they were not eating their laying ration when it was all by itself.

I will double check the breakdown of the laying ration we are currently using to see if it meets their needs.

Comment

Well, I checked and am finally getting back - very slow I might add.

The ration meets the specks you stated. I have increased the quantity of feed slightly, so, we will see if this helps.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.