• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong Way to Decide Tractor Purchase

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Way to Decide Tractor Purchase

The last County Guide included an article entitled "Choice" page 48. The discussion was which tractor to purchase a one year old tractor or a five year old tractor. Two tables were used to compare the choices.

The tables can be viewed at:

<a href=https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AobSgWHxjsrPdEQwek53YW5wa1E2d GhJdHY1X2ZGNVE&output=html>
    Click Here</a>

Any comments? Good way to decide tractor purchase or numbers being used to mislead?

I dont think this is too helpful, but I thought I could describe the contrasts in my area. I bought a 27 year old 320 hp tractor with 6500 hours on it, new inside tires for $22,000. The previous owner put in an upgrade to the hyraulic system, he was pulling a 45(?) foot seed hawk with 2 hydraulic fans. It pulls everything well on my farm. I plan to install GPS autosteer this spring. Its not as pretty as the neighbors and it could blow up anyday but I am satisfied with it. The only rules I have for machinery are that it must have air conditioning and it must have an am/fm radio. I did install an air ride seat and plan to install in the other tractor. The big farms around here make large scale deals on new. 4 big tractors and 7 combines, they math it out to cost/acre and have the warrantee support to keep the machines rolling.

Comment

Good morning. I recently bought a 1977 Steiger ST 250 tracto for $19,250 . It cost the previous owner more than that to rebuild the engine , transmission, and clutch. For my small farm, it is easy math. I dont like making machinery companies rich from the sweat of my labour. This tractor also has a return line for an air seeder, and should handle 35 ft . I realize you cant farm with antiques, but there is still a place for good used, and older equipment, as long as it is not somebody elses junk. Take care all, and have a good season.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...
      X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
      You agree to our and by clicking I agree.