• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wrong Way to Decide Tractor Purchase

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Way to Decide Tractor Purchase

The last County Guide included an article entitled "Choice" page 48. The discussion was which tractor to purchase a one year old tractor or a five year old tractor. Two tables were used to compare the choices.

The tables can be viewed at:

<a href=https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0AobSgWHxjsrPdEQwek53YW5wa1E2d GhJdHY1X2ZGNVE&output=html>
    Click Here</a>

Any comments? Good way to decide tractor purchase or numbers being used to mislead?

I dont think this is too helpful, but I thought I could describe the contrasts in my area. I bought a 27 year old 320 hp tractor with 6500 hours on it, new inside tires for $22,000. The previous owner put in an upgrade to the hyraulic system, he was pulling a 45(?) foot seed hawk with 2 hydraulic fans. It pulls everything well on my farm. I plan to install GPS autosteer this spring. Its not as pretty as the neighbors and it could blow up anyday but I am satisfied with it. The only rules I have for machinery are that it must have air conditioning and it must have an am/fm radio. I did install an air ride seat and plan to install in the other tractor. The big farms around here make large scale deals on new. 4 big tractors and 7 combines, they math it out to cost/acre and have the warrantee support to keep the machines rolling.

Comment

Good morning. I recently bought a 1977 Steiger ST 250 tracto for $19,250 . It cost the previous owner more than that to rebuild the engine , transmission, and clutch. For my small farm, it is easy math. I dont like making machinery companies rich from the sweat of my labour. This tractor also has a return line for an air seeder, and should handle 35 ft . I realize you cant farm with antiques, but there is still a place for good used, and older equipment, as long as it is not somebody elses junk. Take care all, and have a good season.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...