• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm Stress

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farm Stress

Last weekend the results of the fallout of the bison industry became a little more evident in a town near here as a farmer decided he couldn't take the pressure anymore and ended his own life.He left behind a loving wife and three fine sons.
    I am wondering with the drought,poor commodity prices,and long list of other challenges facing producers these days how many others are feeling the same pressures.I myself had a rough go of it the first year it started raining (way too much) and the commodity prices crashed.In time though I made some new plans and set some new goals and things got better.I also realized that there is a helluva lot more to life than money!
    I guess what I'm trying to point out is just that.All we really have to do on this earth is eat and sleep.Who ever can't make a go of it farming these days has nothing to be ashamed of.It's not like everyone isn't doing their darndest to make it work.We should hold our heads up high because to make it this far in this business is a major accomplishment in itself!And to hell with what the neighbors might be saying or thinking about you!Best of luck this year folks.It WILL get better!!

Check out www.thefarmline.ca. This is a website associated with the Ontario Farm Line but has some good stuff in the information section for anybody outside Ontario. There's also a section for Teens.

Comment

Countryguy - I am very sorry to hear about the loss that this family faces. It is such a shame that people can't see any other way out. It is tough and gets harder all the time, it seems, but there are lights at the end of the tunnel.

I hope that his family can find the strength and the wherewithall to move forward.

Comment

What a tragedy!

Yahoo for you countryguy - I agree!Live your own life and ignore the other guys.They aren't living in your shoes but theirs and everyone's situation is different!

Best of luck for a successful year (and not just on the money side)!!!

Comment

why is it if we lose at business we and come back we are admired as entreprenuers (Terry Balkan, Bill Gates, and dozens of other millionaires) and yet if we lose at farming we are considered losers.... even though often after the sale and land is all cleared up there may not even be a loss (in $ terms) involved.

Why cannot we celebrate the risk takers and their successes as much as we smirk at the ones who lose their farms? Can we not accept risk and winning as well as losing as part of the game? Why would a person in charge of his own life decide to end it instead of saying "hey I learned something, lets try again" business people do it every day, some give up but not many decide to leave a family behind...

Comment

We'll never know why this guy decided to do what he did. We never walked in his boots. Judge not lest ye be judged. Just feel sorry for a terrible tradgedy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...
            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.