• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing Canola Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mixing Canola Varieties

Does anyone have any comments or experience mixing canola varieties so as to create a crop with a variety of agronomic characteristics instead of going with a pure variety such as is the norm now. My thinking is that a blend of varieities may offer a slight advantage in a given year since we cannot exactly predict what the upcoming season will be like. By seeding a mix of varieties with differing agronomic characteristics, say 1/3 with drought tolerance, 1/3 high yield when it rains, 1/3 great disease resistance it may be possible to beat the odds. What do you think?

Rob -- good question! -- Never really thought about it with canola although I have seen research on barley with similar objectives -- The challenge, I believe, will be to manage things like maturity & height differences come harvest time. I like the idea of growing different varieties but I'd be tempted to target them to specific pieces of land rather than mixing them together. (e.g. Those varieties with high yield potential on best land, those that handle stress better on poorer land, and disease tolerant types on land in tight rotation.) This is generally the approach I like to take with pea varieties and when comparing types of wheat (CPS vs HRS). I'll be interested in any other opinions -- Again great question for discussion!

Comment

I do think there is some interest in mixing of varieties. It has been a commonplace practice for years with alfalfa, and like you point out, the concept, if practical should apply to any crop. Thanks for your comments. What do the experts think on this. What does the research say? If there isn't any research, then why not? Would seeding more than one variety offer any benefit, why or why not?

Comment

I do think there is some interest in mixing of varieties. It has been a commonplace practice for years with alfalfa, and like you point out, the concept, if practical should apply to any crop. Thanks for your comments. What do the experts think on this. What does the research say? If there isn't any research, then why not? Would seeding more than one variety offer any benefit, why or why not?

Comment

There are actually mixtures being seeded and grown now -- they are called synthetics. However, the reasoning is based on hybrid vigour not differences in adaptation. For example, Polish canola synthetics have usually 2 parents which have been grown together based on good hybrid response. The resulting synthetic seed is actually a mixture of the hybrid between the parents, and each individual parent. Yield increases using hybrid seed has been attributed to the hybrid vigor, not differences in adaptation. I am not sure that we have significant differences in moisture adaptation to create mixtures that can adapt to varying conditions. Perhaps there could be short and strong strawed varieties combined with yielding tall, weak straw varieties to give more diversity to cope with dry or wet conditions. Or maybe mixing varieties with high yield but marginal oil quality with lower yielding higher oil quality. In summary, I think there are some possibilites but am not aware on any research in canola.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...