• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Add "Calf Claim" to your calving supplies

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Add "Calf Claim" to your calving supplies

Calf Claim is product we've used for about three years and had good results using it. Sprinkle about a spoonfull of this product along a calves backand the cow will take her calf right away. This product is made from porcupine meat, bone meal, and various other ingredients that cows seem to be very attracted too.

I've tried this product and never felt it did anything. I wonder if I did something wrong? I would put it on the calf and rub it in a little. I have tried other products like this one but seem to allways come back to just using some grain on the calf instead.
    I had a calf today that the mother didn't seem to want even with grain. I mixed in a little liquid feed supplement I use with the grain and it really stuck to the calf, the cow was licking the calf pretty good so I guess I'll see later if she is going to take it, the calf is up wanting to suck.

Comment

Sounds like we've both used this product in the same manor and had opposite results. It just proves there is no right or wrong way to do things in the cattle business, but just finding a method that works in their own operation.

Comment

Boys I've never tried this product and I don't have the magic bullet to solve this problem. I have heard all sorts of solutions from hair spray to throwing the dog in the pen! ( the latter didn't work either but it sure was entertaining!!!(the dog didn't agree!)
        One way that will work is to just keep catching the cow, flanking her up and letting the calf suck! Two times a day rodeo! I remember I was having a particularily tough time at this once. I asked my uncle if this was ever going to work as I had been at it for two weeks. He said" it is a test of wills! If you outlast her she will take the calf and you will never have another problem!" So I perseveered! And I won!!! She took that calf big time! Raised him and was a loving mother!
        The next year she had her calf by herself and she walked!!! She went down the road the next day!!! Enough already!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...