• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

prolapsing heifer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

prolapsing heifer

Does anyone know how to deal with heifers with prolapsed rectums? I have a heifer who keeps having contractions and trying to push it out. Is there a drug or something we could do to make it stop permanently? (It is becoming a pain to have to keep an eye on her and watch out for her pushing) The heifer is a 13 months old and is due to calve in about three weeks. I figured maybe cowman or somebody else could give me some ideas. (I'm sure you all have had to deal with something like this before).

13 months old and due to calve in 3 weeks?

Comment

I don't know what to tell you. The only time I saw a cow who would prolapse her rectum was also prolapsing her vagina. When I sewed up her vagina that stopped the other. I wouldn't worry too much about it. When the calf drops down a couple of days before birth it will stop.
      Thirteen months is pretty young? I've seen heifers calve at 15 months but never 13. I would suggest to you that a C-section is a good possibility! Good luck!

Comment

I've had a couple of these. nothing you can do about it really, once they start they will do it for life. "normally" it isn't a huge problem. However, thats the type of cow I would just get rid of just in case. This cond. generally is not related with a uturin prolapse.

Comment

She very well may stop prolapsing as she gets closer to calving. You may find at her age she will have a difficult birth. I would consider talking to your vet about a c-section. You may be further ahead to get a live calf out of her and then ship the mother. Young calves are worth a fortune this time of year or you could put it on another cow. The mother should sell well also after a time recuperating.

Comment

I, too, wouldn't be too concerned about it...... but would for sure concider a c-section if it is that young... it might even raise the calf well,but would think twice about rebreeding

Comment

Sorry about that. I meant to say that the heifer was 25 months old, not 13. My mistake. The heifer is 25 months old and is due to calve in three weeks. Thanks for everyones advice and I welcome more responses.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.