• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

school taxes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

school taxes

Here in Alberta we are entering the third week of a teachers strike. Three school boards have settled at 10.5% for one year with an unspecified amount in the second year. They pretty well blew their reserve to pay the 10.5%. I was talking to my counciller and she said no way would they have any money to pay up next year. But seeing how they have these three deals that probably will be the standard for the rest when they go to binding arbitration. And now the Alberta govt. is all gung-ho to order the teachers back to work...why now? Well pretty soon they have to set the school taxes portion of your property tax! And there could be a little squawking if the increase is very high...which it will be if they give this raise! The money has to come from somewhere and seeing how old Ralph has pretty well pissed our surplusses away guess where it comes from? Yes, that's right, your pocket!!

My pet peeve around this goes to the ever increasing portion that comes from agriculture property and the fact that the tax credits do not apply to agriculture property. Somehow, paying to put everyone's kids through school and supplying the cheap food but having trouble to feed my own family is a tough pill to swallow right now. I'm very glad that we have off-farm income as well and that our operation is small compared to most.

I've been following the strikes in AB (we are in MB) and cannot imagine what the actual fallout is going to be. Teachers do an amazing thing for a living but their living is far exceeding most of the rest of us. When is it going to stop - how much can society truly afford?

Comment

Well here in Alberta about 38% of the budget goes for education. I assume at least that much again for health care, which doesn't leave a lot to run the rest of the government and a lot less to build roads, bridges, etc.
      The truth is if we didn't have the massive income from oil we'd be in worse shape than Sask. or Manitoba!
      In Alaska they pay all their residents a dividend from their oil revenue. It came to about$3200/Canadian for every man woman and child last year. Family of four-$12,800.
      Here in Alberta we give our "dividend" to our teachers,doctors,nurses,politicians etc.
      Of course we naturally don't have a say in the matter...like they do in Alaska! I mean really shouldn't our "elite" get the benifits? Us dumb peasants would probably just waste the money on things like food,clothing, shelter etc.!!

Comment

and in Alaska you get to pay your divedend to the hospitals for health care as well, try a few weeks on Chemo and see you long your divended lasts...

Cheap taxes = lower services, be prepared to pay the price, not just those of us with money, jobs, land a cattle, but those with no money, no jobs, children and a rent payment at the end of the month

Comment

The argument that we would have to pay outrageous health care premiums just doesn't wash. In the U.S. it costs about $3000/U.S. for a family of four, top coverage. We pay about the same here only it is through taxes. Keep in mind that their health care system is much better and therefore costs a lot more. I don't really care how cheap our system is if I'm dead! Don't believe the garbage about how we have the best health care system in the world...to see this just watch how fast our politicians head to the States when they get cancer!
          And Nakado what are those extra services? Out in the country we have no police, no fire department, crumby roads and inferior schools. We get screwed for every utility we use.
          To imply that somehow or other we have it better off than the average American just doesn't wash. They have us beat in everything....well apparently not hockey!!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...
          X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
          You agree to our and by clicking I agree.