• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hydraulic Squeeze

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydraulic Squeeze

Looking for advise on what to look for when considering buying and brands to look at.

I have a manual squeeze but have used a hydraulic. The thing for me was timing when to shut the head gate & how fast it moves. In cold weather we always cycled it for a bit to get the oil moving good so we knew how fast it would move to catch the calf. Another factor would be ensuring proper power supply to the location you set it up. One feedlot I knew the owner was happy to have the power pack outside the building because the noise of that thing is something that irritates the cattle and the cattlemen, over hours of time you really don't want to hear it. Also you would want to know how much force it puts on the animal before the hyd cuts out.

Comment

I appreciate your help. I run yearlings and when processing it get tiring running the manual one. I can see how a motor and pump too close to the squeeze would be bad. Some even have them on the top! But it seems many of the brands are designed by welders and not those who know animal psychology.

Comment

I have a neighbor that uses a tractor to run his squeeze with long enough hoses and the tractor parked behind something so you don't notice it is running. His theory is you have a tractor and it is either in the shop or has been doing chores so it is ready to go and he saved the money on the pump.

Comment

I've worked on losts of them. The Catlelac SPRING LOADED (cushioned) head gate is by far the best, for commercial like work. The Turin colony buids a simular one but watch the welds, under aged welders don't make things stick and service can be a problem. And yes you definately don't want the motor close!

The lighter so called hydraulic units are for twice a year type useage. Their build too light.

Comment

I bought a used silencer squeeze a few years ago and love it. Cattle flow through it like water. All the clanking and banging of a manual squeeze stalled all kinds of cattle. It's (almost) a joy to process cattle now. A new silencer is around 20 grand though.

Comment

For yearlings I think the cattlac is a good choice and ditto on the spring loaded head gate. For cows and bull tho it is not very well suited. I'm presently looking to replace a cattlac with something that works better for big stock so will watch this post with interest.

Comment

I have a Pearson squeeze and it works good, with the self catching gate. But if processing many animals it gets tiring. Animals tend to be of different sizes so one that can be adjusted is important.

Comment

Bought a Stampede hyd squeeze 2 years ago. Love it. Cant remember life before it. Can implant and weigh 400 yearlings and not feel like you can scratch your ankles without bending over. Usually my mom runs it whereas it was me or my brother with the manual. Built my own frame with overhead load cells and can raise it on 2 cylinders 24" to cleanout under it. Load cells were only $1200 from All-weigh in Red Deer. Very good service. All told probably about $12000 into it and by far the best purchase I've made. Only problem is the sternum bar is a waste of time but its easy to remove. I've worked with Cattlelacs as well and have nothing bad to say about them either. You wont be disappointed.

Comment

I appreciate the input. A squeeze is a tool that when needed it must be safe and efficient. What is the best way to include a scale? The hydraulic system sounds intersting and maybe easier to keep the scale working that one under the unit.

Comment

I appreciate the input. A squeeze is a tool that when needed it must be safe and efficient. What is the best way to include a scale? The hydraulic system sounds intersting and maybe easier to keep the scale working that one under the unit.

Comment

Intrepid-I have used squeezes with load bars underneath and always had a problem with the manure freezing between the squeeze and the sub frame. On mine I just built a set of stoppers to allow the squeeze 3" of travel ahead and back and side to side. Mostly for it being placed on uneven ground. I mounted a load cell at the front and back of the squeeze and attached to a 3"x24" cylinder (cheap tie rod ones from princess auto) with a 6" length of chain to allow for movement. When I'm weighing I just hang it a few inches above the ground and I can set it down if I'm not since some balk at walking onto something thats not ridgidly fixed. I could probably e-mail you a pic if your interested and if I can figure out our camera.

Comment

That would be great. How do I supply you with the email address?

Comment

Intrepid- you can email me at danandberni2009@hotmail.com Tomorrow I'll try and take a picture and see if I can get it to you.

Comment

Were you able to get the pictures KeephillsCowMan? Sent you my address but maybe got screened out. Try me at who023@hotmail.com

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...