• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If u are using snow as a water source read

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If u are using snow as a water source read

http://www.westlockvetcenter.ca/Feeding%20Snow%20vs%20Water%20v.%202.pdf

This is very interesting to me as I have seen professional recomendations stating snow was just as good as water.

Watering with snow is over for me.

I have watered with snow in the past and there were times when it seemed to work OK and others when the cows seemed to look a bit rough. I don't agree with the vet clinics melting snow math as the water we make available to cattle isn't at body temperature!! There might be more energy needed to melt the snow but I've seen cows take on a belly full of cold water and that makes them shiver. They melt the snow a mouthfull at a time. HT

Comment

Being blessed with plenty of water I seldom have the need to use snow. Coincidentally though this year I have had one herd on snow for going on 4 months now and they look excellent. Maybe it is the feed with alfalfa as the protein source. The snow conditions have deteriorated in the past couple of days and although there is plenty it is hard or sugar. They are going to be moved to water tomorrow. I think the key is the quality and quantity of the snow more than anything else. I suspect they will choose water over snow but we will see tomorrow.

Comment

Not been our experience - cows do just fine on snow. Presently we are feeding cows silage and straw within 1/4 mile of a frost free nose pump which at least 80% have used in the past. I would estimate around 15% max are using the nose pump - the rest are quite happy with snow and less walking. I think we are seeing less usage this winter due to higher water content in the snow but that may be specific to our area.

Comment

Allfarmer, Thinking some more on the vet info you posted I wonder if the problems they see are an anomaly on the year largely due to poorer quality feed? This poor hay quality seems to be a big issue this year. Re-reading some of the research it is clear that a cow can use the surplus heat generated by her rumen activity to very effectively melt snow in small quantities throughout the day. As I said before it's not been an issue for us - our cows largely prefer licking snow to walking a short distance to a nose pump. That said, as a precaution we have never kept lean cows or bred heifers on snow alone.
          Here are some research papers on the issue.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/crops/forages/pdf/bjb05s21.pdf

http://www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebeef/frgebeef.nsf/all/ccf1020/$FILE/snoweffects.pdf

http://www1.foragebeef.ca/$foragebeef/frgebeef.nsf/all/ccf1020/$FILE/snowpregnantbeefcows.pdf

Comment

I agree "due to poorer quality feed"

Some winters I have figured the cows did better on snow.

Comment

Good grief why do people have to keep coming up with so-called studies and "scientific proof" inorder to justify their opinions? That's all this is, because if they wanted to know if it works or doesn't, all they would have to do is buy some land, buy some cows, take a real shot at being a real producer, in the REAL WORLD, and they could try it and see.

Or, much safer and less financial risk, which falls on us, they could watch cows on the farms of those who've done it for years. It works people, don't care who you are or what you do, it works. Some winters the snow gets too hard and crusted, but I've very rarely seen it. Cows the last 3 winters were on snow through bale grazing, swath grazing, and stockpiled grazing. Came out looking as good or better than the neighbours cows that were on silage and water bowls.

This winter is a different story. Snow is deep with multiple layers of crust in the field we're feeding on. Some are not walking to water and content with the snow, but most are coming 1/4 mile to the yard.

Comment

Moved my snow herd this morning. 1st and 2nd calf heifers and some cows that were thin at weaning. They look in excellent shape and have been doing fine on snow for 4 months. I moved them with a bale carrot and drove them right by the water. More interested in the feed. Fed them about a 1/4 mile out from the water. They eventually followed the tractor tracks back to it. Several had a small sip. They have been exploring their new digs and have walked past the water back to the field where they are presently hanging out. Can't be too thirsty.

Comment

I read the article..... the problems are arising from the low quality forages that they are eating. To get enough energy out of straw and poor hay, a cow's stomach isn't big enough, and its an energy problem, NOT because they are eating snow.

Comment

Whoever wrote this material needs to be commended for their ability to do math, not literature checks. The U of A has done some very conclusive work in the mid 80's and put the topic to rest. Their conclusion was " if you have water available, give them water. If you don't have water available, use snow. But do not restrict your feed management options because you don't have water". I see grassfarmer copied some stuff off of www.foragebeef.ca. There's a good folder there including the work from the university.

Comment

Day 2 in new water pen. Very few have chose the water option yet.

Comment

Ah, but per!!

That needs to be replicated at least 8 times with enough data sets for it be statistically significant 19 out of 20 times!
                        You need a winter student sitting in her car counting cow drink days...!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.