• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grassfarmer Do you figure panoka is better

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grassfarmer Do you figure panoka is better

Just wondering what guys think about Panoka and Westlock auction marts, is it worth trucking the further distance south to Panoka? I would like to sell by TEAM but do not have an even liner load to ship.

Can't really advise on that Allfarmer as we don't use Ponoka or Westlock. I know VJV pull a lot of cattle out of that north country/BC. I suspect most of these independent markets have their own strengths and weaknesses. There is one outfit I wouldn't consider under any circumstances and you can probably guess who that is. Gets too dodgy for me when the auctioneer is also the owner, buyer and financier of the cattle.

Comment

Completely agree, just have to move my winter feeders out in the next month or so. I should try to build a load to for TEAM but that could be allot of fooling around.

Comment

Does anyone on here sell at Provost.
        Who owns that market?

Comment

Provost is another mafia, oops I mean Nilsson operation.

Comment

My cousin is an auctioneer/fieldmen at
            Provost. Actually a decent guy but ya in with the Mafia.

Comment

Most here use Vermilion, but Viking is
              growing pretty quickly and gaining a good
              reputation. Veteran has treated us well
              the last few years.

Comment

I've seen less than full loads sold on the team quitge often. Have done it myself , biggest thing is uniformity of lot in my mind. If you are shipping them to a market will you be calling a liner yourself and paying for less then a full load? hen the cost per pound will be teh same as selling them over teh team to someone who will factor that in.

Comment

I once listened to a cattle dealer speaking at the Western Grazing Conference. He spoke of positive freight, meaning that cattle end up south and transport costs are reflected in the cattle prices as you go south. My observation is that the N. marts do get aggressive prices compared to others. I'd have no problem selling them in one of those. The other options with TEAM is to make your delivery date flexible so a buyer can add your cattle to other cattle on a trip through. The other option is to sell them off of the yard delivered to an assembly location with a flexible date. The buyer perceives potential by these terms and bids them in whether they actually materialize or not. (which then becomes his issue after the sale) My thoughts on this...

Comment

If you are worried about auction markets ,I sell my
                    calves direct to feedlot .ie Western feedlot , They
                    come out look at them give you a quote You can
                    negotiate freight shrink ect. You know roughly what
                    their worth . If you don't like the quote your not out
                    trucking and labour. I have gotten 3 sealed bids to
                    start , now i have a good relationship and trust and
                    may only need one . Shrink is very costly .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...