• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Snow job of 2011 award

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow job of 2011 award

Edmonton -- One of Alberta’s largest beef processors will increase its value-added production capacity while reducing the size of its environmental footprint thanks to two grants through the Alberta Livestock and Meat Agency (ALMA).

The Growing Forward grants, totaling $1.6 million, will be distributed over two years and will allow XL Foods to upgrade its Brooks facility by installing state-of-the-art technology that will enable the plant to double its per-day capacity for ground beef.

http://www.farms.com/FarmsPages/ENews/NewsDetails/tabid/189/Default.aspx?NewsId=38808

When a corporation nets 30 % ROI then you're entitled to hand outs. What a snow job.

Pork barrelling never ends

Only Nilssons would refer to producing more ground beef as "value adding". Still when you are in their position you just can't lose.
    What say HT, the ABP and other supporters of our "free market" system in relation to this story?

Comment

I'm with you guys. Government and big business in bed together is the definition of fascism. As long as ALMA has funding this is what we will get. At least they are treating the big 2 packers the same. HT

Comment

BTW government interference such as this grant is a corruption of the free market. This is the work of liberals not libertarians.

Comment

Here's a better use of money, IMHO

From the Manitoba Co-operator
          http://www.manitobacooperator.ca/issues/story.aspx?aid=1000402112

Canada's agriculture ministers have tapped 19 provincially inspected meat packing operations to take part in a pilot project aimed at boosting the interprovincial meat trade.

Coming out of a meeting last week in Toronto, the ministers said they were "preparing to launch" the 19 pilot projects, expecting to "enhance processors' ability to sell their safe, high quality product to more Canadian consumers."

"Farmers and processors are proud of their safe, high quality meat and we're working together to help them sell their steaks or chops to their provincial neighbours," federal Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz said in a joint release Friday from the ministers, who next meet in New Brunswick in July.

"Breaking down trade barriers at home and abroad will yield greater returns for our meat industry and benefit all Canadians."

Officials are to work with pilot participants to validate new inspection procedures, collect samples and information, and sort through what technical procedures could be adapted to "better reflect the operating environments of meat processors of all sizes," the federal government said in December 2010 when calling for potential applicants, with a deadline of Jan. 7.

Participating pilot plants would continue to be serviced by their current inspection authority as per their normal arrangements, but throughout the pilot project, federal and provincial authorities would also jointly visit the pilot plant, collect information, run evaluations and validate new procedures for inspections.

Pilots would still operate under their current rules during the initial phases of work, but at the end of the process, pilots would have to meet a modified version of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency's Manual of Procedures (MOP) and Food Safety Enhancement Program (FSEP) manual, along with other applicable CFIA regulations to become federally registered.

The Meat Inspection Regulations would require a HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points) plan, but reviewed to ensure a "suitable" adaptation of technical requirements for plants of small and medium size, the government said. Businesses completing the pilot process would need to meet the revised procedures.

By the time they complete the pilot process, participating plants would be federally registered by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency -- as long as they meet all federal requirements and operate under the revised procedures drafted for them.

Current federal meat inspection legislation blocks provincially-inspected meat plants from selling meat in Canada beyond the borders of a plant's home province. Federally-inspected plants may ship meat anywhere within Canada as well as for export.

Comment

Really tried to find something positive to say about this grant to XL.

By George, I think I got it. I have figured out a way to keep this money going to the multinational packers for years to come and not have their names in the headlines too often.

I know of a group that would like the Alberta Government to supply a loan to put the Balzac plant into operation. This loan, that would be paid off by a levy on the cattle entering the kill box, could be paid directly to XL and Cargill over a period of ten or twenty years.

Whalla --- we get sustainability and government favoritism in one shot. Lets call it "Social Justificationism" just because there are no words to define the current business model in our province.

I don't know what else to do guys --- any common sense approach we have taken to our democratic leadership has failed.

Long live Social Justificationism and Festivus.

Comment

Why is it that politicians are challenged more than the average joe to get at the wisdom that all of us have in us.

Yes these people are wise, ABP officials and all, but they are not using their conscience when making decisions.

Are they worrying about their own personal livelihoods? I don't even know how that can be unless livelihood is solely based on money. How many people are going to remember the current leadership of ABP or our provincial tories with fondness? What legacy do these folks think that they are leaving behind?

If ABP is seen as the voice of the producer in this province --- show me. When did we give up on democracy in this province or country? Who could we ask to even run a survey for crying out loud.

I hate to be labeled a complainer --- but my goodness gracious --- this province is out of control.

Comment

Sent a letter to politicians asking for answers and voicing my opinion on it. We'll see what kind of response I get.

Comment

Okay -- one last point before I go feed some cows... And no burnt -- I aint' bin drinkin this afternoon..

We had a fellow from the government come out to one of the stores we are aligned with in Calgary to see what we could apply for in the ALMA chest of goodies.

First off --- we were too integrated to the retail or actual consumer to be considered for most programs. You see the grants are set up for wholesale rather than a complete value chain from grass to the housewife's plate like ours. They are also meant to enhance export marketing.

Both ideas that obviously fit into adding hamburger making capacity at XL????

I get a constant supply of emails regarding the importance of value chains in Alberta. I guess the money that is destined to lubricate these rusty chains runs out just after the speakers are paid at all the conferences.

True Social Justificationism will have to come from private sources I guess. Get ready boys -- as long as the powers that be don't find a way to destroy potential foreign investment in our country that could correct our current corruptucapitalist system, we are going to see money from places beyond the southern 49th real soon.

If the boys at ABP and the torie caucas can't see it --- the rest of the world certainly can. We have agricultural resourses in this country that have been exploited for far too long and partnering with countries that are not out to simply take those raw resources and leave is, in my mind,our best opportunity given the choice of current environment.

Comment

Wuz just gonna ask . . .

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...