• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farmer Coops

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farmer Coops

I have often wondered why more of us farmers do not get together to buy products>
    It seems to me if we could purchase more product at a better price and pass that onto ourselves in the way of a coop it would make alot of sense.
    Why not be tendering out fuel, fertilizer,feed, etc. to the companies and reaping the rewards of buying a greater amount.
    I have been told many times by businesses that if I bought a larger amount the price would be better,
    Anybody out there doing this or has tried it I would like to hear from you.

They do have these "new generation" co-ops in the States that do exactly what you are proposing. They do not have any stores or an elaborate corporate structure. I'm not real sure why they aren't here but I think there are some sort of government restrictions in Canada that make it hard to operate. I remember reading about the ones in the U.S. and they have huge memberships. Maybe someone out there has some info?

Comment

We have them here in U.K. Try www. framfarmers.co.uk for the website of the one I am most familiar with.
      Think that should give you some idea how it works
      Get back to me If you need to know more

regards Ian

Comment

Cowman;
        Any idea what restrictions we would have in Canada?
        What is stopping more neighbors from just going out and purchasing product in bulk and passing the savings onto themselves?

Comment

I'm sorry I don't have much information on these new generation co-ops. I just remember reading an article about them. Back in the 70's there was a group that tried to set up something like this. I think it was called the Farm and Ranch Buying co-op. I believe it cost $300/yr. to join which was pretty steep in those days. My Dad joined up and bought a bunch of insulation for a shop, which saved him about $500. Shortly after this it folded....I think they didn't get enough members to bring the big companies to their knees!
          You should realize these sort of "buyers clubs" are not in the interest of the big corporations. After all the idea might spread to the rest of the peasants and then where would the obscene profits be? So their paid flunkies(politicians) will do just about anything to stop these sort of things. After all farmers aren't real big contributors to the political partys and also they haven't learned the fine art of bribery and graft!

Comment

Fram carrot to suppliers is prompt payment of just one account.All farmers must agreed to DD from bank account to join.All payments are electronic 28days after notification.There is a membership fee and comitment requirement but the savings on bill paying alone must be significant to both parties

Comment

Restrictions! we don't need no stinkin restrictions! (full points to anyone who identifies the quote 'paraphased' as you know and the 2 (count them 2) movies it was featured in!)

Canadians are always able to cooperate to pool their buying power! The restrictions comes when they have to actually agree to do so!!!!

Imagine one farmer trusting another with his money or product WOW!

signed
              Cynical in Calgary!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.