• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Food Freedom Day

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food Freedom Day

Today's the day Canadians have earned enough to buy their year's supply of food. We're not far into the year are we?

Here's a good article from the Winnipeg Free Press.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/business/food-freedom-day-holds-sad-message-on-farming-116056394.html

A challenging read. Just makes me want to go out and work harder to become more productive, more efficient . . .

Comment

And the worst part is that Tax Freedom Day comes in June.

Comment

If Feb 12 is food freedom day I wonder what day the farmers share is covered? I'm betting by Jan 15. Don't know what the answer is except to let the market drive prices rather than governments. HT

Comment

Ah, the illusion of "free markets" - we have that now - why isn't it working?? How come the supply managed dairy and poultry sectors are the only consistently successful ones in Canadian agriculture?

As always in Alberta the facts are negotiable as long as the "free market" ideology stands.

Comment

Grassfarmer, the irony of the situation is that consumers keep themselves in a delirious state of confusion trying to figure out which they hate the most - supply management or the subsidies that the other "free market" ag. sectors occasionally receive. hahaha (bitter laugh)

Comment

I get your point Burnt about both systems having a cost but in reality I don't think the average consumers loses much sleep over either. I wonder what % of Canadian consumers even realise there is a supply management system in place for dairy for example? I suspect very, very low.

Comment

Unfortunately supply management involves very few producers, especially in the feather end.
                Very capital intensive and no opportunity to start small as you can't afford the quota. Good idea that has gone wrong. All the money is in a government issued permit.

Comment

Everyone knows milk comes from a store, not a cow.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...