• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone go to some Bred cow sales?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone go to some Bred cow sales?

Just wondering what the cows are bringing?

We're going to a sale today. Should find out soon.

Comment

Old girls went for slaughter price, but not necessarily for slaughter. Young big and fancy went anywhere from $900 to a very top of $1200 for a couple of special ones. Average would likely be about $900 to $1000.

Comment

Thanks Kato

Which mart sale did you got too?

Guess I should have waited till now to buy and not 2.5 months ago. Does not sound like lots of guys expanding to chase the better prices.

Now I also have land touching mine comming up for sale, If prices were hotter I would consider selling some girls but I guess that is out. Timing is off

Comment

Those are presumably Manitoba prices Kato? Going by the reports they are trading higher in Alberta although I haven't seen any sell personally. In Rimbey recently there was a dispersal of 4th calf(or 4 year old maybe?) Angus and Hereford - report says good cows made $1250-$1550.
          Ponoka this week reported good young cows $1100-$1400.
          Westlock sold 320 cows reporting $900-$1390.

Comment

So looks like we are getting to 1980 prices, too bad producers are at 2011 costs. there is still all this amazement by the "experts" that no new producers are getting in, which shows how much the experts really know.

Comment

Heartland Brandon. They were mostly dispersal cows, but I wouldn't call it a high quality sale overall. Some looked like they could use some groceries. I think they'd be higher at a reputation herd dispersal sale with better presented cows.

There weren't a lot of farmers buying. Out of three hundred cows, at least a hundred went to an operation that's planning on calving them out, selling them in the fall for slaughter, and feeding the calves. Another big number were bought by a known feelot, but I'm not sure what he has planned for them. So I would guess that between those, and the ones the slaughter buyers bought, probably three quarters of those cows won't see another calf. ...... and the liquidation continues.

Out of the yard, most guys are asking $1,100.00. Not sure if they're getting it though. We would pay that, but we haven't found any that we'd want yet.

You have to remember there are a lot of old cows out there right now. In my opinion, anyone buying should ask for age verification papers, especially if they're paying a good price. We sold some old girls last week too (not as breds!) who did not look their ages. They could have fooled some people at a bred cow sale though.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...
              X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
              You agree to our and by clicking I agree.