• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Agri-Food Policy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agri-Food Policy

Maybe this country is starting to wake up. I sure hope so.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/canada-needs-policy-overhaul-to-keep-up-with-global-food-markets/article1898130/

http://www.capi-icpa.ca/destinations/CAPI-Agri-Food_Destination_FULL.pdf

Just hope it is not too late.

The usual lag between recognizing a problem and addressing it could be deadly. Like steering a big ship with too many hands on the rudder control. Whose interests win?

Besides, there is food on the store shelves - so what's to worry about, right?

Comment

There already is a food shortage in the world. Farmers don't have the money to produce more and many people don't have the money to pay more.

The future in my view will be a greater gap between the rich and the poor.

I heard a statistic that if all of the worlds wealth was divided between all the worlds people every person would have a million dollars.

Comment

"Canada is not realizing the full potential of a major strategic asset – the country’s agrifood sector. The consequences of falling profitability, lost opportunity, and declining
        relevance are impairing the nation’s agri-food industry. Current policies and practices across the sector, and fear of changing the status quo, are holding Canada back. This is in vivid contrast to what Canada needs to achieve in order to provide the higher quality and volume of product demanded by a growing world population and increasingly aware consumers both in Canada and abroad.

The Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute (CAPI) and many of its partners see a massive opportunity for the country’s agri-food industry to maximize its natural advantages of climate, geography and skills. There have been some successes. But success needs to be pervasive. Canada can be the world’s leading producer of nutritious and safe foods produced in a sustainable, profitable manner. This would pack a competitive punch that few other countries in the world can match.

Canada needs a compelling food plan that is systems-based, not value chain-based. Canada’s agri-food sector must have the most successful good food
        systems on the planet to deliver on our potential over the next 15-20 years. A more united approach is essential. Industry and government can seek and reach a new long term destination backed by appropriate short-term goals and milestones. We have the potential to change our approach and make a profound contribution to a changing food world. This is the dialogue we need to have."

The problem as I see it- brother burnt is that the various sectors of the agri-food industry in this country have not yet figured out that we are uniquely positioned to maximize expansion and profit for all if only we can organize cooperative effort at all levels.

Today is a good day. The Canadian Agri-Food Policy Institute agrees with me. According to the Globe our friend Gerry even promised to read the report. It sure makes interesting reading.

http://www.capi-icpa.ca/destinations/CAPI-Agri-Food_Destination_FULL.pdf

Comment

"Canada needs a compelling food plan that is systems-based, not value chain-based." Well I'm not sure I understand what "systems-based" means but I sure hope it would work better than our dysfunctional "value chain-based"!

". . . maximize expansion and profit for all if only we can organize cooperative effort at all levels." - I would love to see such an organized effort succeed but there seems to be something inherent in human nature that fears the outcome of cooperative effort. The over-weaning effect of individual self-interest?

And that is before we even begin to consider the influence of "corporate ethics"! No, I'm not bitter, haha.

Comment

"We need to stop talking only about sectors, value chains and product lines and start thinking more about agri-food “systems”. Future success hinges on taking a systems approach that better understands the connections among many diverse players. Every ingredient and food relies on a productive ecological system managed by ranchers or farmers. Getting the ingredient or food to the consumer’s plate takes a value chain, including input providers, producers, distributors, processors and retailers. All levels of government are also part of this system, acting as policy makers, regulators,funders and facilitators. As well, scientists, researchers and entrepreneurs contribute ideas and new technologies. Adjacent sectors (e.g., in the health, transportation and environment sectors) intersect with the agri-food sector in multiple ways. This goes well beyond a linear view of the sector. All these stakeholders have a leading role to play in food systems. Industry and government must call for strategic change."

What we neeed in the agri-food business in Canada, along with a systems approach, is cooperative competition. If you don't believe me watch the bar scene in "A Beautiful Mind" one more time. Cooperative competition works.

Individual self-interest is sometimes best served by cooperation. This is one of those times. The question is whether the various components of the various 'systems' can be pursuaded to beat their swords into plowshares in the interests of growth and prosperity for all.

Without strong political leadership I admit I do not see it happening, and the current political leadership has shown very little imagination, innovation or creativity in providing the requisite leadership.

Good thing I believe in miracles. Maybe Gerry will read the CAPI report and the light will go on. Maybe the PM will realize that an industry that employs one out of every eight members of the Canadian workforce, if properly managed, can fuel tremendous economic growth for the entire nation (exports from $38B today to $75B by 2025 is CAPI's stated goal). It can't hurt politically that farmers have the highest public approval rating of any profession in Canada.

Could happen, and I'm still so crazy mad in love with this country that I am not about to throw in the towel just yet.

Comment

Cool man...

Comment

. . .or is it just more bureaucratic meddling? Who was it that said "I'm from the government and I'm here to help you?

http://opinion.financialpost.com/2011/02/08/peter-foster-the-straight-goods-from-animal-farm/

Comment

"farmers have the highest public approval rating of any profession in Canada" Maybe there is hope yet. I always thought that producing food was an incredibly honorable thing to do. After bse, I felt like a stone to be stepped on by every sector up the chain looking to make a profit (some of it by only pushing a pencil on paper!) Food is one commodity that should not be traded on the stock market.

Comment

I think the bottom line is that what we have now is not working. It may seem on the surface that it is, but the foundation of the whole house of cards is not strong, and not healthy. Something's going to give.

You can't have a food system that's designed for profit for all except the ones who provide the basic commodities that it all depends on. A system that is designed to provide cheap food at any cost is not sustainable. Sooner or later you run out of food, because no one is left to grow it. Or you end up with all your food security at the mercy of two or three multinational corporations. Now isn't that I nice thought?

And yet down on the farm, profit is a dirty word. If farmers look prosperous, you hear people saying things like "Look at all that big equipment. Look at that new truck. How dare that farmer live the good life off of my hard earned wages"..... and then book a trip to Jamaica the next day. And feel not a bit of guilt about their own cost of living raises, because after all, "I deserve it! How dare anyone ask me not to keep up with the cost of living, or heaven forbid, fall behind."

It's considered a right for most people in the developed world to expect that they will always have adequate disposable income for the good things, but we are expected to feel guilty about even dreaming about the same thing.

However we go about it, we need some real change if we're to have a better future. There is so much potential out there, and primary producers need to be involved in how we reach it. I expect we'll hear lots of ideas about how that is to take place before we figure it out. The important thing is that our opinions need to be heard while this is being developed, or we may end up worse off than we are now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...