• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

smcgrath76 could u plug this into cowbytes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

smcgrath76 could u plug this into cowbytes

I have been feeding 1.5/lbs of rolled barley per hundred weight 750 x 1.5 = 11.25 lbs day spread over 3 feedings.

I would like to for the first few days put them on a similar energy amount of rolled peas......so how many pounds of peas would that be?

barley about 84 tdn oats 76 tdn peas 86 tdn??

Just looked over the feed composition guide to see what had the highest TDN

http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_typical_composition_feeds/

the answer Animal fat chicken 195 TDN

So does this mean people are feeding chicken fat (grease) to cattle?

Is this why they print on food label "may contain beef, pork or chicken" it is surprising how may food label have that in it. I guess the guys at the plant don't know their animals to well?? Or it all goes into the same vat?? Some lunch meat labels really make me wonder. Have a look at the label on the lunch packs that are a combination of sliced cheeze,lunch meat and crackers? Beef chicken or pork we didn't get a good look when it ran by LOL

Comment

AF - I know you are not feeding just
      barley, but I ran a quick ration using
      750 weight steers at -5C outside,
      cooling off at night, and only feeding
      barley, peas, oats at 11.25 pounds to
      give you an idea of the differences in
      performance.
      Barley shows ADG of 0.5
      Oats shows a slide in condition at 11.25
      pounds per day
      Peas show ADG of 0.7.
      Obviously this will increase with the
      addition of some forage in the diet and
      decrease with the decline in temperature
      or deep snow, etc.
      Based on the information, this is a
      pretty rudimentary guesstimate, but I
      hope it helps.

Comment

Allfarmer, are these cattle you are fattening? I know some guys that are growing out feeders for sale with close to that amount of grain. I don't understand their thinking - what will they do when corn hits $7 or more a bu which looks likely next winter?

Comment

feeding lowest cost for a pound of gane in custum feedlot in south ab is around 075 t0 080 /lbs for backgrounder cattle !to finish be less if more barley or feedwheat in ration.
          there is going to be money made in feeding this year .
          tdn in peas is higher than barley so doin,t need protein supp added look prices cannot feed corn or peas!
          feed weat high energy and lower input cost this cold long winter and bedding may be a factor so far .
          some practical cowbytes from a old cattle boy

Comment

Thanks smcgrath76....so pea's are about 28% hotter feed than barley. Figuring .5 / .7

grassfarmer these are last years calves of my own I am just putting some weight on. I bought the pea screenings for $4/bushel delivered an in my view ok price. There are no feedlots up in this neck of the woods and few cow calf guys so its easy to source straw,hay, screening. Bringing this stuff in builds up our land. And I love feeding cattle. Hopefully I can pick up 6 quarters of land at the auctions in the next couple of months. The dream/goal is to calve out 1000 cows and finish 1000 calves a year. Since all of this auction land is bush/willow I do have my work cut out for me. I also plan to build at least another 300 feet of pipe bunk fence this summer. I love what I do.

ag-boy thank for your imput

Comment

AF - peas are not that much hotter than
              barley. With the ration I figured, most
              of the energy actually goes into
              maintenance (body heat, tissue repair)
              rather than gain. Basically they are
              about 2-5% "hotter" than barley.

Comment

You mentioned pea screenings Allfarmer in your latter post which would have a lower feed value than peas - maybe 15% less TDN and @4% less protein?
                If you phone the AB Aginfo centre they will go through the cowbytes program and run some trial rations and balance it all for you - ph# is 310-3276.

Comment

Sorry I am slow to reply, for some reason I agreed to help a guy haul Canola.

I will take you up on the suggestion to call the info centre, they are a great resource. And ya screening would have a lower tdn than pure pea's. Very tired take care and thanks again guys

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...