• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

may calving

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

may calving

Must be old hat to you guys out west; but, to me over in Manitoba, I'm used to short days and long cold nights.....what lies ahead for me?: I will attempt to calve out 300 cows on pasture this spring. What will be my biggest problem?

I think you will be surprised how much easier it is calving in the spring. We only run approx 80 head and always calved in Feb until last year. We moved to late Apr - May and 90% of the cows calved on pasture with no help. We only lost one calf this year and the only time they were handled was at branding time. I was told that the calves would be lighter in the fall but that wasn't so in our case. We did keep them until Nov 15 but they were always on pasture and averaged out at 610 lbs. My only worry about spring calving is getting a heavy wet snow storm which often happens here. I have good wind breaks and keep lots of straw on hand just in case. There is several outfits in this area ( Southern Alta ) that have moved to spring calving and I haven't heard of any problems todate so go for it and good luck !

Comment

So maybe a guy should forget about the tagging and nutting etc.. till later on in the summer...just look for the problems ... don't create them?

Comment

One problem you will have is getting a cow in that needs help. This is one of the drawbacks, I have found. Practice up your roping skills and learn to whip that old rope around a willow! And maybe practice dancing sideways and back and forth while you try to get those O.B. chains on! Other than that it is a piece of cake! Also get some liniment...you might need it after being dragged around a bit!

Comment

The thought of spring calving sounds better to me all the time. I have just started and those middle of the night checks when it is -30 outside are starting to wear on me.
          I started calving early only for the reason I raise breeding stock to sell. Next fall we are starting into some fall calving. The thought of going out to check does not bother me but doing it in some of our country's worse weather is starting to make less sense, especially as I get older. (I'm at that age where the advice I give is the same advice I didn't listen to.)

Comment

I just talked to a guy north of Winnipeg, which is a long way north of me, and he started calving in May about 3 years ago. He had nothing but good news for me...almost got me excited about calving. He said he was still tagging etc.. just with his bike. He thought even his more excitable cows were more relaxed than they were when they were penned up. He also thought that his calves weren't that much smaller than the ones born earlier. We finish out our calves so I'm not real concerned over that anyways. Disease wise, he thought he was way better off as well...

Comment

bob-b: Calving in May is good, especially if you aren't selling the calves in the fall. If I was you I'd try to get those calves tagged and cut right away because those babies born in the bush can be wild little suckers! But I wouldn't get all bent out of shape if you miss a few...you'll have to vaccinate for blackleg and you can catch them then. If you have horned calves use the paste or one of the small electric dehorners and either cut them with a knife or use ringers. I have found the ringers to be quicker, but make sure you do it right! And if you miss a few horns you can clip them off when you vaccinate.
              And I think you are doing the right thing with that many cows.

Comment

Mr. Cowman .... I can see why the people missed you.... It's been awhile since I've played on the internet but I like your input already...I think I'll stick to the "control thing" ... it will be a little tougher but I think it will work.....I started making a little deal that will pull behind the 4 wheeler much like what you see in the "green book" (I call it the bible).I'm "akin" to the ropin' and tyin' to the nearest tree or pole thing....my uncles never did own a head gate and I have alot of fond memories of helping them on the same kind of system you were describing...always seemed to work but...........here's from left field .... a donkey? why?

Comment

Well somehow you sort of lost me on the "donkey thing" but that's okay! One thing I'd suggest is spend lots of time with those cows. I truly believe that old saying "The eye of the owner fattens the cow". Well I know you don't want fat cows but I'm sure you'll get my drift! One of the most important things when calving cows is to be there. If you've fed them right and bred them right there will be very few problems....but it is the "few problems" that can make or break you! Unfortunately there isn't really a shortcut to this advice!!!

Comment

I had a guy tell me to put a donkey into the herd to keep the coyotes away. I agree totally with the "be there" advice, I'll give you an update on the progress in June....thanks again

Comment

Following up on the donkey theme. I tried two. They and the coyotes got on fine after a while. The coyotes would roam right through the cattle, one even walked up to the donkey to give it a sniff. No action from the donkey. Now we have a llama. Won't even let the farm dogs get close without chasing them, even after seeing the same dogs for 8 months. Have also watched him march right up to a pair of coyotes just lately-- finally lying down between the two so he could relax and watch them. They finally left.
                      Be pepared for the cows to have a fit when they first see a llama. It took our cows 2 full weeks before they'd stay in the same side of the quarter with ours. The other thing that's amusing is how the llama will pester the bull.

Comment

funny how cows will "make strange" my brother comes to do his chores the odd time and it takes awhile for them to get used to him

Comment

We used to calve on green grass when I was a kid. We never knew what calving problems were nor had we ever heard about scours. Then the peer pressure to calve earlier and earlier and what do ya get. Yeh higher weaning weights, but higher feed costs and sicknesses, not to mention the extra cost's incurred to get the cows to adequately cycle back and milk. We think we're smart to manage things "better". But a one old wise rancher told me "if ya mess with nature it's goin ta cost ya". Why do you think the good Lord has the wild life calving on green grass. The natural available nutrition is designed to be cheap through the winter and cheap when it turns green.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...