• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

agro-forestry/permaculture project

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

agro-forestry/permaculture project

We are a young couple who purchased 86 acres of old farmstead in Pictou Co., Nova Scotia. We have no experience in farming, but enjoy the benefits of hard work and a simple life. My background is in tourism, with training in ecotourism planning and development, and my partner is a lobster fisher, with experience working in the woods.

We have no history of the farm, but the land has not been productive for some time. There is some field remaining around the house, and some fairly mature softwoods and poplar. The majority of the property has been cut over, and left in a state of disrepair. There is some regrowth in areas of poplar and wire birch, and some softwood. There are also quite a few patches of blackberries and raspberries, and a number of varieties of overgrown apple trees. There are a couple of small brooks running through the property, and some boggy areas due to the lay of the land.

We want to develop our property with environmental issues in mind, but also have it as a source of income throughout or lives. I have started researching the possibilities of agroforestry, permaculture, and forest farming and the options seem endless. I am looking for information that will allow me to properly develop this property into a healthy and productive environment on little capital investment. I wish to choose species that are easily renewable, economically viable and marketable in Nova Scotia. I am not looking for anything too specific right now, but hope that you will consider my situation and send anything that could help. Please reply and point me in the right direction! Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

There isn't too many operations in my neck of the woods that are doing what you are trying. There is one however. It is a much different setting and the land base is a little larger but you may find it useful info as it is up and running. This person published a book aswell. The book title is ' Woodlot management ' by Lone Pine publishing. I think they are out of Edmonton and Vancouver. The author is Bruno Wiskel. Good luck. If you have trouble tracking this info down get back to me.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.