• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OATS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OATS

I heard there is some good contracts out there for New Crop oats. What do you think will happen with the oat market?

The question on oats and feed grains is tough one this year. It is a year you will either be right or ugly wrong - no in between.

What I can tell you is that new crop offers of over $2/bu are resulting in lots of contracting - particularly in Manitoba and S.E. Saskatchewan (sounds like Peace River farmers are also booking this price). Oat acres will be up in western Canada.

The next question comes down to weather this spring/summer. Amount of oats pastured/harvested as green feed will be the first issue. Yields will be the second. Quality will be the third.

My thoughts are to stage in sales at over $2/bu (depending on location) with a third of realistic 2002 production a good target. Make sure you understand the quality you are committing to in the contract and the spreads if you are not able to meet it.

Others thoughts.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...
    X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
    You agree to our and by clicking I agree.