• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any experience in feeding weaned calves (700ls) fall rye (grain)

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any experience in feeding weaned calves (700ls) fall rye (grain)

Who has fed fallrye grain---I was feeding whole oats (milling) and because of the huge demand on oats arising----have fall rye seed (couple years old) no ergot. Only set up to feed whole from feedbox to feeders.

Any digestive problems????

I hear Osborn Lakevold passed away a couple weeks ago...so about when u and I were talking about him. At a lodge in Vancouver Cancer

Comment

We have fed some in the past. I would be
      a bit careful to mix it into the ration
      slowly. It is pretty good feed as long as
      it is ergot free.

Comment

Thx Smcgrath----This is a nice set of open replacement "girls" ----wouldn't want to hurt them.

The oat market has really picked up and now a demand for seed. The fall rye seed has tied up a bin for about 3 years now.

I was planning on titrating the whole oats with rye seed when I do this process.

Comment

Further to this, here is how a couple of
          grains compare...
          Barley - NEm 0.92, NEg 0.62, P 12.5%,
          Cal/Phos 1:4, NDF 23%
          Oats - NEm 0.83, NEg 0.54, P 11.3%,
          Calhos 1:4, NDF 29.3
          Rye - NEm 0.93, NEg 0.63, P 10.3,
          Calhos 2:1, NDF 19

These are based out of Cowbytes, and
          will vary by feed test. Basically Rye
          has a lot more jam than oats (closer to
          Barley) but has a more favourable
          Calhos ratio than Barley or oats. It
          can be a pretty good feed. I would
          think about limit feeding or continue
          mixing with oats.

Comment

five to six pound a day, preferably rolled. Replacement heifers will do ust fine on it.

Comment

Hi Sadie: A couple of years ago when grain prices were really bad we custom fed 500lb heifers I used to seed a oat/rye mixture for grazing and ended up having rye screenings that I tried to use as feed. We tried mixing with both oats and barley in silage. Surprisingly just a little mixed in and you could see that they did not like it. After that experience I just sold the screening back to the seed cleaning plant.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...