• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3G , Internet Stick & LAN. Solution to rural high speed internet dilemma?? or will internet provi

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3G , Internet Stick & LAN. Solution to rural high speed internet dilemma?? or will internet provi

An impressive number of rural Sask residents either have access to 3G Wireless or soon will.

In regards to the Internet Stick; which I understand is a modem that can provide Wireless internet service to a compatible 3G router that can wirelessly serve your LAN computers and devices within range:

In my opinion it could be the solution to bringing telecommunication needs and internet services near the levels enjoyed by more populated areas of our province.
    However there are potential disturbing clauses in the Terms of Usage that could cripple full use of most potential applications; especially with the "unlimited data" plans; whenever and if ever the provider (Sasktel) choses to enforce the agreements.
    If Sasktel forced full compliance with customers acceptance of Terms of use; there is no streaming of radio or television feeds allowed; no UTube video; no connection to Skype or magicjack; no downloading any music or television, sports, movies etc; no P2P sharing or downloading; no "Rapidshare type monkey business"; no GPS base station correction data; no automated data relaying; and an absolute limit of 7 GB per month. Thats a couple of Blue-Ray (high definition) movies which might take 10 minutes at a 7MB/sec download rate that reports say is available with the "awesome" 3G wireless capabilities (in fact there is a theoretical 21 MB/ sec maximum capacity for future expansion.}
    SO WHAT IS LEFT
    The question is; who needs anything approaching 3G speeds if no one can do anything except access your email; look at crop prices and the weather type web pages and IM (whatever that is; and of course I will find out if it is ever something that fits in with a use for myself). If that were enforced by any ISP in a city; every last subscriber would soon move to an alternative that allowed way more services for a lots less money.

To Sasktel's credit (so far); I've not heard of any need for cracking down on users who are not dragging down the level of service to other customers; and who are not consuming bandwidth that impacts others. There aren't any real hints that the vast majority of users are monitored; and Sasktel appears to be working hard to maintain the highest customer saisfaction levels possible. And certainly options must be reserved to deal with those possibilities, but its pretty darn clear what the legal agreements could possibly mean by any company who suddenly didn't care about their customers satisfaction levels.
    I'm leaning to outright purchase of an Internet Stick and subscribing on a month to month basis. Afterall; there are several other options out there; including I understand; big boys such as Bell service. Those type options are last resorts; and I hope our phone company treats rural Sask. fairly with this potentially wonderful service.

What are actual user's experiences?

I think this will be the way you access the internet in the future...maybe even now. Wireless and always online.

We use these sticks alot when we are on the road and attending tradeshows etc.

I would call SaskTel and ask for a trial...they might send you one to try it out for a month or so.

Good luck,

Joe Dales
    Farms.com

Comment

I use it alot also and am very happy with service, now that there is better coverage and 3g in more areas. It was slow before no better than dial up.

Sask tel is not the only provider I use another provider and it is my understanding that they pay Sask Tel for usage of it's equipment.

Comment

As far as the Terms Of Use, I am wondering if that is a legalese way of SaskTel not promising performance on those high bandwith activities. It might be less about them cracking down and more about not being obligated to having fast performance.

Joe

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.