• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

herd health

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

herd health

I had a set of twins born. when they were five days old one of the calves had a swollen front ankle, i thought maybe the ankle had got stepped on. I put them and mom in a separate pen. They calf stood all hunched up. The swelling in the foot is now down but there is swelling in the shoulder joint. It's rock hard. the calf has a temp of 39.7F. Is this caused by an infection of the embilical cord?I have given Nuflor. Is this the best drug and how much and how often should this calf be treated as I understand this could be difficult to get rid of. the calf got it's colostrum from it's mom so that's not the problem. Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks Haking

We had the same thing happen to one of our leased calves. We also gave our's some nuflor. 6cc given under skin. We gave it 2 doses 5days apart. Calf is coming around slowly. The mother may have not had efficient colustrum and sometimes it is necessary to supplement with additional. Our calf also had a swollen navel. It has been a slow recovery but the calf is now out with the rest of the herd and does not need assistance anymore.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
    • Return to Topic List
    Working...