• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

accounting programs

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

accounting programs

What type of program do you guys use? I've only ever just used a spreadsheet but am getting a glimpse into Simply Accounting and am wondering if I should switch to it or not. OR if there is something even better. thanks.

I agree tom with you, prairie boy if you think us farmers are subsidised buy the CWB you must be smoking some pretty strong stuff. Never never have the CWB subsidised farmers. It helped mother England over and over and helped out special buyers but to help farmers come on that's a stretch.
    Let the smoke out don't hold in as long buzz wont be as great. Cause your smoking something.

Comment

Of course we need rules.

Property rights for instance. How could we possibly enjoy our property without them.

We also need the courts to enforce our contracts and settle disputes.

Its one of those kooky twists of logic, so prevalent on the left, to claim that being in favour of something like a voluntary CWB is akin to anarchy.

Comment

I agree Fransisco - to me, a "free market" is one where market forces provide meaningful information and incentives and you are free to respond appropriately.

A market that provides an incentive to deliver wheat now but doesn't allow you to is not a free market.

Comment

Then there is the flip side where people think that the more rules you have the more civilized your society will be. That's simply not the case. Sometimes its stupid rules that lead to anarchy. Like the kind this guy talks about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWw7H4m389o&feature=player_embedded

Comment

Try AgExpert It is for farms. It is now
            owned by FCC. A lot more farm friendly
            than simply accounting.

Comment

We use AgExpert too, but you could make any
              program work depending on your accounting
              knowledge. If you want something reasonably
              easy to use that is adapted to Canadian Ag. then
              you won't go too far wrong with AgExpert though.

Comment

I have used simply accounting for ?? years, I started with a
                DOS version. As said it may not be the best for farm accrual
                accounting, as it is mainly a business package
                I looked at a version of Ag expert, but you can't import
                from simply accounting which makes it starting over again.
                The things missing from simply AC like depreciation, grain
                inventory and personal bill splitting also seems a little
                cumbersome at that time in Ag expect
                I have found a few tricks in simply account inventory
                controls that will give my tonnes sold without any value
                on inventory. I then export the balance sheet to a
                spreadsheet template to product the true accrual statement
                at year end.
                One big advantage is price. I upgrade about ever 5 years
                for $150 or less and Ag expect is about $350/year. Also
                most accountants can use Simply accounting files, but
                this may now also be true for ag expert
                Also simply Ac will most likely take longer to setup for
                your operation, if you can find a good template in
                Ag expert. Simply Ac had very poor farm templates when
                I started so I built from zero, Then did it again the
                next year. Since then I have only had to add or delete
                without any major work.

Comment

Eleven years with AgExpert. It makes accounting, inventory, banking, GST, income tax and reports very quick and easy. At $350/ year you get upgrades and phone support. It's first class and worth it.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I have no doubt AgExpert would be the best way to go but I can't justify spending that kind oif money on a program. I'm quite happy just using excel as I can manipulate all the info to show whatever I want. I just have the opportunity to use SA for free and am just wondering if I should set it up or just continue with excel. I'll have to just play with it a bit more I guess and see how I like it.

Comment

I use quickbooks. It is way simple so suits me well and my accountant uses it so it is just a memory card download at year end. The features are pretty basic but it is fast!! HT

Comment

Agexpert doesn't have to cost that much. I've been using it since back when it was Settler Gold. It's well designed, and if you've got some accounting experience, it's very easy to use, and bug free.

I don't bother with the support package,since I've only had to call them twice. I just get one update every year for $99.00, and it does the job.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...
                        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.