• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you think?

I have a bull calf that was born a few days ago. His momma didn't want to have anything to do with him. I fed him colstrom and later, whole milk. He was still in a pen with his mother, in hopes she would get some maternal feeling! Anyway he came up with a broken leg! Doesn't seem to bother him at all even though it was high up! The vet set it and put a cast on it. My question is... will this calf make it?

yes he should if he has the drive to drink. We had one like that once, we had to feed him for a month or more until he could suck on his own. He had to stay in the coral with mom for a long time after though since he didn't quite walk normal. One thing to keep in mind these days is you will have to butcher him. even if he gets 900 lbs, you will take a kicking at the auction.

Comment

I would put him in a very small pen with the dam. Powdered cows milk is what he needs. My history with broken legs is if their not set the leg will rot in a few weeks. This all will cost money and some times it is best to put the calf to sleep now instead of later.

Comment

Actually I have decided his momma deserves a break today at Mac Donalds! He is on milk replacer and is eating 8 liters/day. I feed him a little rolled barley and hay...just shove it in his mouth and he chews away! All I can hope for is the break will mend. He was a little "oops" as the bulls got out one day! So far I've had 4 little "oops"! But hey the weather is good and they will be big boys in the fall! They were all bulls!!!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...
        X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
        You agree to our and by clicking I agree.