• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

land taxes

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

land taxes

Last year my taxes actually went down!! First time I can ever remember that happening!! It wasn't due to my municipal govt. but the fact Alberta cut the school tax portion. Now this year my municipality is holding their increase to inflation(1.4%). The school portion still has to come in. With the large wage increases the teachers are asking for I would assume this means up she goes! Now if it stays dry this could be a pretty tough year for agriculture. Maybe it would be a good idea to suggest to your MLA that we can't really afford to pay our employees 20% more? The provincial government is trying to keep costs down and has cut every department 1%. This has really affected things like Alberta Agriculture and infrastructure. Is it unrealistic to ask teachers, doctors, nurses and POLITICIANS to take a 1% cut? If they are our leaders shouldn't they be leading the way?
    How much of a cut have you taken this year?

Maybe we should all take a look at the Provincial Budget, the cost of the entire department staff of AAFRD, their salaries and expenses is weensey compared to the payments to agriculture (farmers). Even if they fired everyone it would not make a big dent in the budget.

Taking a look at a number the press made up (a 20 % increase?) is not a fair way to look at the situation.

Lets take a look at the government jobs and service jobs and determine value for our dollars instead.

If teachers are expected to prepare for class before the class time, teach for the 8-4 or 9-5 class day, supervise lunch hours, stay after school to conduct drama, sports clubs etc. and then to babysit sick kids while the parents are at work is this as deserving as someone who mails out subsidy and drought assistance cheques from 8:14 - 4:30 with 1 hour off for lunch and 2 half hour coffee breaks monday to friday? Not to mention the dental, eye, insurance programs etc. etc.

So why do most teachers get paid 20 % (or more!) less than this guy/gal?

Comment

Well, because I have a good friend working in Alberta Agriculture and I have two sisters who are teachers: I have a little knowledge about this(by the way I am not that popular with my sisters over this!). Why do you think that ALL Alberta Ag employees spend their day passing out subsidy checks? Sort of like ALL teachers do this extra stuff? The fact of the matter is our govt. spending is once AGAIN out of control! I can certainly understand that the teachers want 20%
      after the doctors and nurses got it! And the politicians were pretty good to themselves! Restraint in govt. spending must affect everyone! And quite frankly I don't see that happening! So am I down on teachers? NO! I'm down on the provincial govt. not being fiscally resonsible!
      And please educate me on how the average Ag Alberta employee is getting 20% more than 60 grand a year?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...