• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Truth or Fiction?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truth or Fiction?

The following is a CBC commentary I recently ran across:

For decades, farm leaders and politicians have told us that we need subsidies to “preserve the family farm.” But if you check the numbers, you'll find that farm subsidies have been a shocking failure.

Cash crop grain farmers have been dropping like flies, only one-third of our dairy farms are left since supply management appeared in the 1970s, and there are fewer poultry farmers today than ever in the history of our nation.

In fact, you could argue that subsidies are actually driving down the number of family farms.

That's certainly the view of Brian Chamberlain, past president of the Federated Farmers of New Zealand. He says the large-scale operators capture most of the subsidy loot and use
    it to grow even bigger at the expense of other farms. But in New Zealand, where subsidies went out in the mid-1980s, farm numbers have held steady.

And there are lots of other problems that arise when governments meddle in free markets.
    For example, when Scotland offered subsidies to expand grain production, farmers plowed up pastures and put their sheep on marginal lands higher up in the hills. And when the government realized there was too much grain, it offered another set of incentives to farmers to retire land. Guess what happened? The best pasture land in Scotland was retired. The
    marginal hillsides remain in sheep.

Those who want subsidies admit they can cause problems, but they say, ‘We need them to stave off absolute disaster.’ That's also what they said in New Zealand. Even the government figured 8,000 farmers would bite the dust when it ended subsidies. In truth, only 800 went under.

The new round of World Trade Organization negotiations is a golden opportunity to shed our farm subsidies and the trade barriers which allow supply management to exist.

I believe we have some exceptionally bright and hard-working farmers and we certainly have an abundance of tremendous resources. We will benefit more from the elimination of subsidies and trade barriers than from continuing on with policies that are a proven failure.

What do you think of these comments?

Fiction
    The fiction is that the subsidies where to help farmers in the first place.

The subsidies my farm recieves are from my diversified businesses and value adding enterprises which would be much better without a farm to support.

Government subsidies are NOT handouts to farmers but "cheap food" insurance for the public.

You have got to admit they work well!!

According to www. farmcorp.com today is the day your average Canadian pays the farmers part of his food bill.

Regards Ian

Comment

The truth is that farming generates huge amounts of taxes for the government and creates a huge amount of economic activity.

Any subsidies we receive is just some of our own money back. Taxes in some form or another are the biggest expenses we have. The cost of fertilizer, for example, is at least 40% taxes.

Comment

A large part of getting rid of susidies is the fact that it wasn't done fairly in the past. Our good old Canadian govt. stepped right up to the plate and went right at it! I guess they didn't notice that the Europeans and Americans weren't going to play!
        Has supply management been so bad? I see a lot of very prosperous dairy farms and most of them are still family farms. A lot of these people have huge amounts invested in quota. What happens to that investment if supply management goes? Will they recieve a true market price for that investment?
        Of course subsidies are just another way of "keeping the peasants down on the farm". Without this support there would be a more rapid exodus out of agriculture. And like Winston said agriculture generates a whole lot of activity and revenue for society as a whole. What governments don't get is that the peasants need a little bigger share of the pie!
        I'll tell you one thing...if the drought continues and we don't get some real help here soon you will see an exodus that will make the dirty thirties look like a picnic!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...