• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Computers & Internet

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computers & Internet

As most computer users today use Windows operating systems, I am sure they have been plagued with the numerous problems Windows is famous for. My question to anyone who can help me is: Could I change to Linux and would this system be of benefit to me, a small time computer user?

Although Windows has always been, and will probably always be plagued with bugs and constant patches, the reason so many people still stick with Windows is because of it's user-friendly interface, and Microsoft's efforts to hide the hard-core code from the average user. Whereas Linux is definitely more stable, as well as being open-source (meaning anyone is free to modify it), in my experience it takes a significantly greater knowledge of computers, programming, etc. then the average user has. On my computers, I still run various versions of Windows, and I will continue to use Windows until such time as someone comes up with a Linux version that includes all the nice graphical user interface features that I like about Windows.

Comment

windows 2000 is now quite stable! and powerful, ME sucks big time and I havenot tried the newest one. I installed the ME and regretted every minute drivers would not work, printer company and microoft told me to buy a new printer!

Hotmail crashed (it is owned by Microsoft) and they said "sorry", re-installed 2000 Professional and no more problems.

Comment

Although this is fairly simple to do, the average computer user has no understanding of how to do this, how to read the obscure error messages and how to prevent the build up.

Most users have found a computer literate friend to help them with such challenges and there are also several free easy to use down load programs to help you maintain a working windows environment.

If you have any specific operating challenges feel free to send me an e mail outlining the challenges, if I can help you I will (no charge *smiles*) my e mail is valuechain@shaw.com. If I do not know the answer I will either look it up in my library, talk to my buddies, or go directly to the source.

I can not make promises but can try to help. I am a certified computer administrator with an agricultural background!
        Good luck!

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...