• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need a small browser

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a small browser

I have limited disk space and and 8 meg of ram computer left over and want to set it up as a web browsing computer. Nut with 120 meg hard disk by the time I get windows 98 on it there is no room for explorer or netscape (40 meg and 16 of ram required). Has anyone used Oracle? it seems to be 10 meg of space at least???

A small browser called OffByOne is available at www.OffByOne.com . This browser doesn't have Java or a lot of fancy stuff but it does work. It is 1096KB and with the Uninstall file and the log the total space on disk is less than 1300KB in size. It is also quite fast. Might be worth a try.

Doug

Comment

I was trying to read between the lines of your thread Nokado. Are you setting up an isolated computer to use to access the internet?

I have been plagued by viruses latetly and I don't see an end in sight. The risk of losing all of my farm and finance records is becoming more a matter of 'when' not 'if'. I have been thinking about setting up an isolated computer for these important files.

As with all forms of terrorism, whether we get hit directly or not we are all affected with the repercussions. We are having to constantly backup, buy antivirus software, afraid to open half of our mail, and afraid to send mail for fear of passing on an unseen virus, etc, etc.

Does anyone have have a better suggestion?

Comment

Actually there are companies out there that offer specialized email services with virus scanning and/or spam monitoring, etc.. However they usually charge a fee for this service.

[URL="http://www.eotnetworks.com"]EOT Networks[/URL] is one company I know of that offers these kinds of services.

Comment

I guess you can go two ways, set up most of your files on one computer and browse on the other. Is it better to isolate the key files and everything else on the surfing computer OR just put a browser on the surfer and everything else on the other, the tempatation to duplicate the systems means the temptation to walk a file across by email or on a disk is too high to duplicate them is my concern.

Keeping regular backups might be another good plan, the ability to write to CD is so powerful now you can have software burn you a backup as often as you want.

Decisions decisions

mike

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...