• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grain dryer

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grain dryer

Anybody try converting their propane grain dryer to using a coal fired boiler to heat it with? Just been thinking if you could get the BTUs, it would sure be a lot cheaper than propane.

Sure, but don't let the coal smoke ever get in as the smell of smoke will greatly downgrade the quality of the grain.

Comment

You've gotta think. Has anyone ever used a propane heater in a tent? The whole thing is wet within an hour. A "dryer" source of heat would likely help cut down drying time and cost.

Comment

Lots of these systems for sale in "the book" mainly out of Manitoba. Majority seem to be a radiator that goes in front of an airation fan, much like the dry air system works.

For a grain dryer you would need one monster of a coal boiler to produce 5-6 million btu's that a grain dryer would need. Cost for a CSA certification on a boiler of this size would make the unit a $150,000 purchase.

Smaller boilers in the 1-1.5 mBTU size would add supplemental heat to many bins in an airation system for $25-35,000 or possibly even less.

Could be set up to heat your shop or house for the rest of the year.

Comment

Well thats what I was thinking but for $150 000 I think I would have to stick with propane. If it were $20000 I could justify the conversion.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...