• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

watering cows

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

watering cows

A buddy of mine was going across Sask. and was listening to a farm broadcast. He heard a report of a study where cows do as well as if not better on snow rather than having water available. For me thats a no no. (??????)

beefman

My animals have been on snow now for about a month and they are doing just fine.They weren't liking it too much for the first few days but are doing okay now.I am doing this with first calf heifers and know it is not recommended for them but I am going to see what happens.I sure don't see anyone watering the young elk or deer around here so what makes a beef cow any different?As long as the snow is accessable (not packed down) to them they do just fine.Mine are actually putting on weight right now.Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Comment

I don't have any personal experience with snow for water but I have a neighbor who does a lot of swath grazing and he counts on his cows eating snow. It sure doesn't seem to hurt them any. My cows have to walk about a half mile for water and I have noticed that some of them will eat snow rather than buck the wind.

Comment

Thank you all.....having a hard time to bring myself not to water the cows...but if you have tried it and it appears to be ok ...then I have to try it....my buddy did mention there was a study done????

Have a great holiday and a greater new year...
        beefman

Comment

There was some studies done on utilizing snow as a water source at the University of Alberta about 10 years ago. They noted behavioural disturbances during the first two days after water had been removed and snow was offered as a water source. In this study animals had access to lots of quality snow. The authors caution that this method of water replacement must be very carefully monitored and managed to make sure that the animals have access to lots of quality snow and they are getting their required amounts. Those of us in the chinook belt would be hard pressed to have the quantity and quality of snow required to make this work.

Comment

I think the study you are talking about was done 15 years ago at U of A. Dr B Young was the researcher. An abbreviated version is available in the Alberta Beef Herd Reference Binder, written by Dr. Bob Richmond. It basically says that cows can substitute water for snow with no effects on feed intake, liveweight change or calving.
            Cows prefer loose fluffy snow to hard packed snow and consume more snow on warm days than cold days. Cows do not require more energy to consume snow (and convert it to water ) than water.

Ref. p 317-1 Alberta beef herd mngt guide

Comment

we are wintering 30 bred heifers with snow only. They are fat as pigs. We had one that calfed just now (she got out last march!!) and when we brought her home to the corral, she headed for the waterer and drank her fill. But she just trembled, we figured she should not have had so much and got chilled with it. Just shows that snow will do, but they relish that big drink.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...