• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price of cows and trucks

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of cows and trucks

Looking back through some old records I found that in 1973 we bought a new chev 3/4 ton 4x4 for $4400. In 2000 we bought a new Dodge3/4 ton 4x4 for $35000. These were both pretty basic models. In 1973 we sold 550 lb. steers for $.38/lb.
    That means all things being equal 550 lb. calves should be selling for $3.02/lb. !!! I guess it's not to hard to figure out why farming doesn't pay anymore!

Pretty interesting numbers, cowman. Continuing with the math that would be about 21 550lb steers. I am not sure what price would have been paid in 2000 but it could estimate that it would be between 35 to 42 steers. Pretty much double!

Comment

Pretty interesting numbers, cowman. Continuing with the math that would be about 21 550lb steers. I am not sure what price would have been paid in 2000 but it could estimate that it would be between 35 to 42 steers. Pretty much double!

Comment

would be interesting to see the costs of production for those same steers and the number of steers produced now per year versus the years mentioned (just an economist wondering if the costs of production decreases via efficiencies in production off set the costs of the truck)

Comment

I would say the cost of production has gone way up on these calves. I mean look at how much fuel, machinery, fertilizer etc. has gone up(probably as much as the truck!). And it's still the same old grass even though the land under it has increased about 7 0r 8 times as much as well as the taxes on that land. And I was comparing a 550 lb. calf then and now. Shouldn't there have been more production effiencies on that truck? I mean they use a lot of robots,and new systems in the plants. I would assume that saved them money. Also the 2000 truck is fairly tinny compared to the one in 1973.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...