• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peas Production.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peas Production.

OK we usually seed 1200 acres of Canola this year we seeded 20% less acreage than last year due to low prices. Then mother nature took another 20% out of production from hail and flood.
    So if we produced 60000 last year and now we are looking at 36000 bushels.
    Now its been reported that because of large carry over in Western Canada the prices have to stay low.
    Hm I'm cleaned out at 6.50 and up so where the hell is the carry over. Purchased last week seed from neighbor cleaned him out. In our area their is none left from all the growers I know. So is it the elevators who hold all seed.
    Most pea crops looked awesome in Fort to Balcarres area but now just good to poor.
    Rain and wind last weekend pushed crop down.
    I think bagging will be the order of the day.

My mistake we usually seed 1200 Acres of Peas Not the Canola number.

Comment

Peas crops north of highway 16 in Alberta looked fantastic but have regressed recently due to ascochyta infection - you can see them literally change color each day. Crops in the Peace are poor at best due to drought - I am sure some are coming off already as we speak.

It use to be Powdery Mildew was the issue growing peas but now it seems the other diseases have taken over and have gotten worse each year they are grown. Love them in the rotation but too hard on my equipment and since i dont own a sprayer, too hard on the pocketbook when I have to spray them twice with fungicides

Comment

People hauling in peas like crazy for bin space .New crop is tough guess but I do not see the acres as chick peas and lentils took pulse acres. Early peas look weedy and late peas did not flower long.So once the old crop is gone I think peas should have some upside.

Comment

Though we'd see record prodution this year on our peas(green Strikers), being planted early, and a fairly big when alot of the heavy rain came. Ya we lost some to flooding, but what wasn't drowned is nothing special. Just our normal high mean avg. This morning , thought I might try some that were swathed 5 days Wed. or some straight on Thur. but we had close to an inch this afternoon, and another good shot this evening, so my hopes for high quality are slipping fast. More rain forecast for Thur now.

Comment

lots of peas being done in the se now. All of ours (green strikers also) are swathed and ready to go. Started at 20% on aug 6. lowest has been 16.5% over the last few days so not drying well even with 30 plus degrees. we've had a couple showers slow us down, 1 tenth shuts us down for a full day just due to the poor drying conditions. Quality so far is great, but we also just had another 2 or 3 tenths so, hopefully they can take it. 2 more days of combining the peas will finish them up for me
            Yielding 40 ish with no fungicides and sprayed with cheap pursuit and select. I can make a living selling them for 5 or 6 bucks if i have to.

Comment

Our first fields should go Sunday or Monday since they were desiccated not very nice weather. Will see how they turn out but 5 to 6 is a joke and we don't use fungicides and use cheap pursuit and assure. But man where is 5 to 6 a decent price when their sold by the pound in India. IM sorry! 5 to 6 is a decent price for feed peas. Not edibles. But as long as the market has farmers selling for those prices they dont have to look elsewhere.

Comment

SF3-Do you sell peas by the pound in Canada?

Comment

No because when peas are 3 bucks it would be almost emberrassing for buyers to list they are offerring bids of 5 cents a pound. Even people in the town can figure out they do not eat more than a pound of peas probably 50 peas in a can of soup sold for 2.50 and our portion would be what fraction of a penny? Everything we grow should be sold at the weight they are used per serving and then people would know how bad we are getting fuxxed. for a few more cents a pound on all commodities we wouldn't need any gov handout programs but the nerds wouldn't be needed either to calcultate how to fuxx those few pennies out of us.

Comment

What i am getting at is that wether it is sold or bought by the pound is irrelevant. Alot of product in India is sold by the government at prices below purchase value delivered to India. Some is traded by private companies, of course for a profit. Bottom line is that peas in India are not traded to consumers, for profit levels you might see in a Nutter's store or health food store in Canada. It just is not the case. Too competitive of a market within their own country.

My bet is you see $4/bu yellow peas before you see $6/bu peas. There is a fair bit of good yellows in Sask and when you factor in Alberta never had a pea crop last year and Edmonton south has a bumper crop, it starts to add up to alot of peas. Add in carryover that is being pushed onto the market, and into the overseas market, right before harvest (sending soft signals) and i see peas looking pretty crappy over next couple months. Holding to Nov 15 brings new info to the market and who knows, but if you need to move in the fall, you may want to look at today's pricing. Also, i continue to be surprised by the number of pea fields in lentil country. Did not thing hardly any would go in, but was wrong.

Comment

That's funny I am shocked how many bumper lentil crops seeded out here and next to nothing peas, go figure!

Comment

actually I forgot to mention, how it is sold is absolutely relevant in fact with all this labelling going on for beef other products it should be mandatory for the amount of peas or any other product we produce in each can or bag etc. and how much a farmer actually got paid for that amount, I think that would be a real eye opener for non farmers as to where the real cost of food lies, and that the so called subsidies are a piss in the ocean compared to what everyone up the latter is adding.

Comment

You think that will happen? I would like to fly to the moon but i do not spend alot of time thinking about it.

Comment

Those bumper lentil crops are rotting with mold right now.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...
                            X

This website uses tracking tools, including cookies. We use these technologies for a variety of reasons, including to recognize new and past website users, to customize your experience, perform analytics and deliver personalized advertising on our sites, apps and newsletters and across the Internet based on your interests.
                            You agree to our and by clicking I agree.